Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Object doesn't support this property or method

Hi

I am getting this error >>>Object doesn't support this property or method<<< when I run the following code from my form. I use this function all over the place and now and then I get this error and it is slowly killing me ...

Private Sub Application_Click()

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmdseDABSubmission", acViewForm, , "[Application] = '" & Me.Application & "'"

End Sub

Can anyone hint at why this is happening? Massive appreciation in advance....

Provided Answers: 6
    You might try bracketing Application, as it's a reserved word:

Me.[Application]
    Paul

Hey P

The brackets didn't fix it. Should I go as far as changing the field name do yuo thing? Application_1 or something?

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmdseDABSubmission", acViewForm, , "[Application] = '" & Me.[Application] & "'"

End Sub

Provided Answers: 59
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hey

thanks for that - I looked at those pages and I am now wondering why my code looks so different to what is there.

I changed the field name to application_name, to see if that makes a difference:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmdseDABSubmission", acViewForm, , "[Application_Name]= '" & Me.[Application_Name] & "'"

End Sub

...but the same error occurs.

Any further thoughts appreciated hugely.

Provided Answers: 59
    look again at the reference, you cant just make up parameters unless they are your own enuimerations. if you are usign soemone else's code then you have to use their enumerations. if you don't want to, or dont' know which value to set then generally speaking VBA functions will default to a 'sensible' answer.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 6
    Good eye healdem; I didn't notice that.

Ok so thank you both for your help here ...

this now works:

Private Sub Text21_Click()
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmPhaseDates", acNormal, , "[Phase] = '" & Me.Phase & "'", , acDialog

End Sub

The issue I am having is in the appreciation of the order in which the arguments should be placed. Whilst that yellow box pop-up help does appear, I do find that the most difficult thing to read. I can't tell where one bit of it ends and where another begins.

However in the snippet above, the fieldname is third and the acDialog is fifth argument .....in my head.

Anyway, thank you both again.

(Yes below I mention [Application] below but this was part of the overall problem and not a new thread).

Massive thanks