Can you recommend a good ad blocker

Is there an ad blocker that really works? I tried one but it leaves a browned-out
    space on my screen where the ad would appear. If I click on the space, it leads
    to some offer. Any advice would be appreciated.
    My browser is Firefox and O/S is Windows 7.

Most ad-blockers are designed to deal with a specific type of ad. They work well on that particular type of ad, but usually fail miserably against others. Most web page designers that use advertisements do whatever is necessary to make it easy for the ad server to place content, so no site content ends up in that space.

Keep in mind that most sites that use ads to provide revenue so that the site can provide users like you services without charge. Just like broadcast television relies on advertising to pay its bills, web sites like DBForums rely on ads to pay our bills. If you use ad blockers, the site will get no revenue... If enough users block the ads, the site will not be able to continue to provide services without a charge.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

To add to the above sites can detect which users are running ad blocking software, and if they so choose take what ever action they so choose. Dunno if this forum has such a capability though
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Ad blocker

Use firefox Ad ones named as Adblock plus

Thanks for all the replies. Adblock is the one I tried, and it created a shaded rectangle where an ad was previously displayed on my Windows 7 laptop.
    Another problem with this laptop is that new tabs keep popping up telling me that I need to upgrade my media player. I can watch media on the major news sites,
    so I don't think I need to download something different to watch media.

Ads like the ones on this website seem normal to me, at least the ones I'm seeing
    now are technology-related.

I guess I was looking for a magic pill to solve this. I have been paying my DSL company for more years than I can remember, so unrelated
    ads suddenly showing up on their home page (which I use as my home page) is very annoying; they must be wealthy enough and not need to give up screen
    real estate to display junky ads.

Then there's this other reality; my Windows XP desktop PC has none of these problems with Firefox, and my DSL homepage does not advertise
    anything but its own service. Maybe the answer is to try Internet Explorer for a while.

Your popup problem sounds more like a malware issue than something that an adblocker can resolve. Perform a virus scan on your machine
    George
    Home | Blog

I spent 2 hours Friday night working on a client's computer that was displaying ads about every 15 seconds.
    In the end I removed a program called optimizer-pro, and found that his home page setting had been hijacked. The new home page loads a pile of javascript, then links to the original home page.

Your are using firefox as your browser, it has a built in pop up blocker.

I have since installed Norton 360 and I have the new version of Firefox.

The problem pop-ups and multiple tabs opening for no apparent reason has gone away.

Ad Block via Firefox is a good ad blocker

You can try these:

1) Addblock Plus
    2) Ghostery

I use Chrome so this may not be any help to you. But I use Adguard Adblocker. Maybe they have something for Firefox?

Thumbs up Install AdBlock for Google Chrome

AdBlock is the most popular Chrome extension, with over 40 million users! Blocks ads all over the web.

Adblock has been sold and now allows vendors the ability to whitelist some adds. UBlock Origin is the best available right now. Most people say Adblock because they've been using for years and don't notice the huge change of functionality.

https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/06/goo...ou-ads-anyway/
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jbkeiagm?hl=en

Ghostery works well as per experience.