Unanswered: Create table dynamically

Hello,

I want to create a table at run time from another table that stores the column names and datatypes to use against those columns. This has been done in sql server , however am not able to find its equivalent in postgres . Below is the script where WRKTABLE is the table that stores the Columns and Datatype for the new table (FINALTABLE):

DECLARE @mycol AS NVARCHAR(MAX);
    DECLARE @my_create_query AS NVARCHAR(MAX);
    BEGIN
    select @mycol = STUFF((SELECT ',' + QUOTENAME(COLUMNID) + ' [numeric](28, 0),' + QUOTENAME(COLUMNAME) + ' ' + DATATYPE
    FROM WRKTABLE
    FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE
    ).value('.', 'NVARCHAR(MAX)')
    , 1, 1, '');
    SELECT @my_Create_query ='CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FINALTABLE]( [ID] [numeric](20, 0)' + @cols + ') ON [PRIMARY]'
    execute(@my_Create_query);
    END;

Thank you so much for the help!!

Thanks,
    Zubi

Provided Answers: 54
    The Microsoft SQL Server code that you posted isn't syntactically correct. It can't work as posted, and even if you correct the syntax errors I'm pretty sure that it won't do what you want.

Please post the actual code that you want us to convert for you, and some sample data that you've tested to be sure it works on Microsoft SQL Server.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat,

I am using 2008 version of Sql Server. I have now attached the detailed example with comments and sample data.

Please refer to the doc file in the attachment. thank you very much for the help

Zubi
    Attached Files Attached Files