Unanswered: How Does Access 2010 Store Attachments

I use a modified version of "Personal Account Ledger", a Microsoft Access application for keeping track of expenses. I use the Access attachments feature to "attach" bill copies and/or receipts to a record. I put the bill copies/receipts in files stored by year. My question is how are these attachments stored in the database itself. When I use "backup database" am I also backing up the attachments or should I copy the files separately?

Thanks

Where are these files store, in Access or an outside folder? If outside, then NO they are not being backed up. Normally attachments are stored outside of Access because of bloat.

Provided Answers: 59
    check the code or tables of your application. if the image is stored inside the db then there will be a blob column, ifits stored outside the application then the URL to the image will be stored
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thumbs up How Does Access Store Attachments?

Healdem,

Thanks for the reply; I'll check those locations.

Burrina,

The files are entered into an outside folder, but are somehow attached to records. So you may be right.

Both,

When I do an overall backup these files are backed up for sure. I was curious about when I do a backup from the database application itself (followed by a "Compact and Repair Database").

Thanks,

Charles

How Does Access Store Attachments?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Datasheet View.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	15413

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Design View.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	15414

Healdem,

I have attached 2 views of the table where the attachments are referenced(I hope I did this right). What is your conclusion after looking at these?

Charles

I would say based on your screenshots that your files are NOT being backed up. As Healdem pointed out, I did NOT see a url or file path to an outside source.

Provided Answers: 59
    Looking at the microsoft web page (google ms access attachments) it suggests the data is stored within db. Its actually the first page listed after the advert pages
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Test for How Attachement is Stored

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but this is a test I conducted:

1. Made a PDF document and saved it as "Test Document 04-19-14"
    2. Made new entry record "Test" and attached "Test Document"
    3. Closed database and then deleted the file "Test Document 04-19-14"
    4. Opened the database application, selected the record "Test" and opened the attachment "Test Document 04-19-14".

The attachment PDF file opened and was the document I had created. So the attachment is stored in the database.

Thanks for your efforts, and I appologize for not thinking of this simple test before posting the question.

We were both glad to try and help. Good Luck With Your Project.