Thread: Google calendar

Unanswered: Google calendar

Hi all.

Is it possible to read/parse the google calendar events and save it in brilliant db? Has anyone tried it?

I'm still thinking of upgrading to version 10 coz fear of buying without support for years.

Thank you.

Provided Answers: 17
    Is it possible to read/parse the google calendar events and save it in brilliant db? Has anyone tried it?
    Yes and no.
    It's most certainly possible. I looked into doing this for a client but it would have cost them far too many man hours for me to write the necessary functions.

https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/

This is also good reading.
    How to Read the Google Calendar in C# - CodeProject

So I never did the actual work as they wouldn't have been able to afford what it would have ultimately cost them in the end.

That said, the alternative solution I get them to agree to was to import all the content they had on a Google Calendar into Brilliant Database.

In Google Calendar there's a settings page where you can export all the data in a Calendar to a ICS file. This is pretty much just a plain text file, so you can write a script that allows Brilliant Database to read that file and to populate records which in turn populate the Brilliant Database Calendar.

This is infinitely far easier to do than trying to integrate brilliant database permanently with google calendar.

I'm still thinking of upgrading to version 10 coz fear of buying without support for years.
    My 2 cents....

If any of us find a bug or have a feature request, then that email obviously should go to Brilliant Database.

For everything else, the best support we can have is each other right here in dbforums

Regards
    James.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by manras View Post
    I've been using databases and online forums for longer than I care to admit.

Vendors provide support, but both large and small vendors have problems that they can't or won't address to suit the needs of their users. Forums and user groups (like this forum on the DBForums web site) provide a place for users to support each other.

If a problem with BDB (Brilliant Database) can be solved without changing the actual BDB executable program or DLLs, I'd be willing to bet that from the time you post the question here until you have the answer will be under 72 hours and in many cases under 24 hours. The BDB users here support each other better than many paid support organizations. They also will help new users avoid common design problems by providing a different point of view that leads to better solutions than the original idea.

If by odd chance you find a problem that actually requires a change to the BDB code, the forum is the place to:
    • Explore the idea
    • confirm where the problem lies
    • Get the community to raise the issue instead of a single user
    This process takes a bit longer than firing off an angry email, but it means that only well researched problems get submitted and that enough information is provided so that the problems can be fixed quickly and completely.

I don't use BDB myself, but the community has embraced the 10.54 version. This means that you'll get the best support, and the most features by using that version. Upgrading software is often painful and there is always some risk that the company will close ten minutes after you upgrade. With that said, the best version of the software is on the latest stable version... If you hang back, you'll be fighting with problems that have already been solved and won't be able to use the current features. A smart user/developer doesn't upgrade the instant new software is available, but they do upgrade as soon as the new version is found to be stable.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Tq James. I saw the possibilities but then Google also like to change the way things are and this would results in maintenance nightmare. I'll try importing as u suggest but not sure the users will like it. Problem is reporting n printing the calendar in BD in our format is not easy. Maybe u can help? See attach.

Once the latest beta comes out, I'll upgrade.

Tq guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caldemo.jpg