Sorry for my lack of technical terms since I'm new to all this, but I set up MySQL on my dedicated server on CentOS 6.5. I'm using SQLyog on my computer in my university dorm to connect to the server, and when I try to connect, SQLyog goes unresponsive for about five seconds and gives me the error:

Error No. 2013
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet',
system error: 2

Then I have no access to the internet and when I troubleshoot the network problems on my computer it says something is wrong with the DNS lookup (I can't remember exactly what it was, but it had to do with DNS). The internet connection comes back after about an hour each time.

I am able to connect to a MySQL server provided by BeastNode (a hosting company) on my computer at the university using SQLyog, so I can connect to other MySQL servers without a problem. I then Teamviewed my laptop that is at my home, not at the university, and on my laptop I was able to connect to my MySQL server on my dedicated server with SQLyog, so I know it can be accessed remotely.

If anyone has an idea as to what is wrong I would appreciate it. Also, let me know if anything needs more clarification as to what is happening.