Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Database can't be used nor dropped

Hello.

Recently installed DB2 10.1.0.872 ESE on Windows 7 (32 bit).

Created a database, defined a table, imported comma-separated data. This last took a few attempts, due to date formats, etc.

Wound up with the DB and 3 aliases showing up in Data Studio.

Tried dropping an alias (don't ask me why).

My state now is that the database appears in Data Studio, but any connect attempt results in "database not found".

Any thoughts how to get rid of the object?

Thanks,
    Art

Provided Answers: 18
    You did not specify the DataStudio version.

Ignore data studio for the moment and check what's present...

Use the db2cwadmin window (Win-R db2cwadmin.bat , or Start > Run > db2cwadmin.bat ) to check what is present, using the suggestion below:

When the window opens, check the output of the following command:

db2 list db directory

You should be able to distinguish the aliases from the real database names (if any exist).
    You can use :
    db2 drop database XXXXX
    to remove a physical database.

You can use
    db2 uncatalog database YYYY where YYYY is an alias.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Data Studio 4.1.0.1.

Using db2 list db directory, I see only other databases. The one in question is not listed.

When I try to drop it, there is a longish pause, then the message that no such database or alias exists.

Provided Answers: 18
    Looks like the datastudio view (of the node+db directory) is out of sync with the actual db2 node/db directory.

If the command-line (db2cwadmin.bat) does not show either the physical database in which you are interested, and also no aliases to this, then the database is either already dropped or manually uncatalogued.

If something (or someone) uncatalogued the database it may still exist on the file systems (e.g. db2 list db directory on C: , or specify the drive letter on which you created the database, or the path if you are using that feature). If nothing relevant gets reported, most likely the database is dropped.

You might try fully exiting from the DataStudio and restarting it, to see if it syncs correctly. But your issue might not be a db2 issue, and may instead be a DataStudio issue.

Good grief! Those things I am seeing in Data Studio are not aliases, they are "connection profiles", and easily deleted within the Studio. They did show [DB2 Alias] in the tree view, but they are not really aliases. Nothing more to be said. Sigh.