Unanswered: Different results in SQL query for different for different accounting periods

Hi,
    I have a very simple query:
    SELECT count(*)
    FROM table1
    where table1.val1 >=1
    and table1.date1
    between :d_start and :d_end
    but What is wrong??
    If I count for e.g. 3 months I get a different result than for the entire period. I determined that the result of the query does not include calculations for the last days of components Months.
    How can i fix this problem???

Thank you for your trouble

Provided Answers: 54
    Can you explain why you think you ought to get different values?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kolipl View Post
    Hi,
    I have a very simple query:
    SELECT count(*)
    FROM table1
    where table1.val1 >=1
    and table1.date1
    between :d_start and :d_end
    but What is wrong??
    If I count for e.g. 3 months I get a different result than for the entire period. I determined that the result of the query does not include calculations for the last days of components Months.
    How can i fix this problem???

Thank you for your trouble
    1) You should use the "code" tags to format your query:
    Code:
    SELECT COUNT ( *)
      FROM Table1
     WHERE Table1.Val1 >= 1
       AND Table1.Date1 BETWEEN :d_Start AND :d_End
    2) Post create table and insert statements with sample data.
    3) Post the expected result based on the data you supply.
    4) Post how/where defined and value of your bind variables :d_Start and :d_End
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I got different values, e.g. for January (from 01 to 31) the result is 92, for February (from 01 to 28)- 103, for March (from 01 to 31)- 58. But result for the entire period-3 months (from 01.01 to 31.03) is not match to 92+103+58=253. The end result is 226, less than 253. What is bad, boundary conditions are the same??
    This select is defined in Oracle Report, Bind variables :d_Start and :d_End are defined as variables. Now I'm after work and I can't check how they are defined

RE differences

Hi,
    1) I'm sorry, I will do better,

2) Now I haven't access to database and application, I'm just after work
    ... but (in relation to query) there is nothig special in table definition: val1 is NUMBER(2) NOT NULL column, Date1 is DATE column,

3) For January [01-31] result is e.g. 108, for February [01-28]- 56, for March [01-31]- 75, SUMMA is 239. But the result for the entire period [from 01.01.2014 to 31.03.2014] is 217.I determined that the cumulative report doesn't count for the last day of each month.

4) bind variables :d_Start and :d_End are defined as values entered by the user in Oracle Report 6i. DB is 10.2.0.2.0

HI,

To remove last day of the month use the in built function LAST_DAY(Start_Date). But this has to be repeated for each month in your date range.

differences- data and report

Hi,
    my select for whole period:
    SELECT id,
    numer_aktualizacji val1,
    data_zatwierdzenia
    FROM zgloszenia
    WHERE data_zatwierdzenia BETWEEN TO_DATE('2014/01/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD') AND TO_DATE('2014/04/05', 'YYYY/MM/DD')
    ORDER BY numer_aktualizacji

and the result /collected data/ in 7z file.

Here You are real results:
    for
    SELECT COUNT(*)
    FROM zgloszenia
    WHERE data_zatwierdzenia BETWEEN TO_DATE('2014/01/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD') AND TO_DATE('2014/03/31', 'YYYY/MM/DD')
    AND numer_aktualizacji >1
    ORDER BY numer_aktualizacji
    ===> result is 328 ===> whole period

for January
    WHERE data_zatwierdzenia BETWEEN TO_DATE('2014/01/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD') AND TO_DATE('2014/01/31', 'YYYY/MM/DD')
    ===> result is 75

for February
    ... WHERE data_zatwierdzenia BETWEEN TO_DATE('2014/02/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD') AND TO_DATE('2014/02/28', 'YYYY/MM/DD')
    ===> result is 112

for March
    WHERE data_zatwierdzenia BETWEEN TO_DATE('2014/03/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD') AND TO_DATE('2014/03/31', 'YYYY/MM/DD')
    ===> result is 132

Partial results 75+112+132 = 319
    Result for whole period = 328

As a result ===> lost data for 9 records in summary report!!
    http://www.dbforums.com/db_images_v3...es/shocked.gif

Where is the problem, how how could fix it??

RE Abhinand
    "To remove last day of the month use the in built function LAST_DAY(Start_Date). But this has to be repeated for each month in your date range."
    I don't want remove last day of the month from count, I want add last day(s) to report /for whole period/ because I lost data/record approved on last day of the month.

Thank You for Your attention,
    Gregory

RE same not the same

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Can you explain why you think you ought to get different values?

-PatP
    I want to receive THE SAME values!!! But I receive different http://www.dbforums.com/db_images_v3.../confused3.gif

Quote Originally Posted by kolipl View Post
    I don't want remove last day of the month from count, I want add last day(s) to report /for whole period/ because I lost data/record approved on last day of the month.
    So include it by correctly specifying the upper limit value. As Oracle DATE data type contains a time part, the queries you posted do not count rows which are after last date's midnight.
    For including the whole last day (and not its midnight only - which may happen when time part is not stored at all), you may change the conditions to either
    Code:
    where data_whatever between :d_start and :d_end + 1 - 1/(24*60*60)
    (add one day and subtract one second - this is the last second of D_END) or maybe better
    Code:
    where data_whatever >= :d_start
      and data_whatever < :d_end + 1
    (dates before the next day excluding next day's midnight)

differences- data and report

Hi,
    I thank all the people who, on were involved in this project, especially for flayboy, and http://www.dbforums.com/db_images_v3...ilies/beer.gif for all.
    Of course, You are right flayboy, the problem was to determine the upper limit for the DATE data. Valid conditions are:
    SELECT COUNT(*)
    FROM zgloszenia
    WHERE d_start >= TO_DATE('2014/01/01', 'YYYY/MM/DD')
    AND d_end < (TO_DATE('2014/03/31', 'YYYY/MM/DD')+1)
    AND val1 >1
    Raport works correctly and and there is no differences in the results.
    Let this be a warning to others that will be determine the boundary conditions for the DATE data
    http://www.dbforums.com/db_images_v3...s/rolleyes.gif

Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tounge and for Your forbearance.

Sincerely,
    Kolipl