Unanswered: Import table data from original database to a slightly updated and modifed version

Ive been making small changes here and there to my database in Access 2013. I have left the original database in place and it has acquired many new records from the last month. Im ready to start using the newly updated design version of the database, but I do not want to have to type all those new records into the new database to get it up-to-date. There has to be a way to import the data from the original database to the newly updated one. Most, If not all of the fields have the same names, but some of the fields have changed, like to Combo boxes. I removed two or three unneeded fields, and added two or three. I understand the new fields will need to have data enter to them, but the remaining would be redundant and inefficient if I have to reenter all the recent records again.

How do I import the data from the original two tables to the new updated database? I only have two tables and they use a One-to-One relationship in both databases. The tables names are different, but as I mentioned earlier, the fields are mostly the same. Do I need to import into Excel, and then modify the data slightly, and then import into my new database?

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks
    Mike

Provided Answers: 59
    yes
    you can use an append query to import from one db to another.

but a better approach is to split the db into a front end (coantians the user interface, the forms, reports, and some queries), and the back end containing the data and common queries. users shoudl have their own copy of the front end and sahre a common copy of the back end. the developer has their own copies of each, but can if required connect tot he live backend. but the developer needs to be aware of which version of data they are connected to.

any changes to the back end can be replicated in the live data, then copy the current tested development application (once you have connected tot he live data) to the users. there is code in the code bank to handle the deployment of revised front end to users
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 24

Backend

I would do healdem's idea of using the old db as a backend, and link all the tables to the new db.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    yes
    you can use an append query to import from one db to another.

but a better approach is to split the db into a front end (coantians the user interface, the forms, reports, and some queries), and the back end containing the data and common queries. users shoudl have their own copy of the front end and sahre a common copy of the back end. the developer has their own copies of each, but can if required connect tot he live backend. but the developer needs to be aware of which version of data they are connected to.

any changes to the back end can be replicated in the live data, then copy the current tested development application (once you have connected tot he live data) to the users. there is code in the code bank to handle the deployment of revised front end to users
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I attempted using the method I mentioned in my first post. I exported both tables to Excel, made slight changes,and then imported those into the new database. It worked great, though I will remember your suggestion for future reference.

I did split the database as you mentioned after I got it updated and working the way I wanted. I'm still not quiet sure how I will make future changes having multiple FE databases. I do intend to create Reports in the coming weeks.

Thanks again for the suggestion

Provided Answers: 59
    You have a two versions of each, one pair (front & back end) are for development. The other for live. You need to take note of any changes to the development back end so they can be applied to the live back end. When your front end testing is complete then you promote the development front end to be the new live front end. Usually youd do this by copying the development front end over the soon to be old live front end. Re link the tables in the new live front end to the live back end. Then deploy the new f ront end to the users
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton