Red face Unanswered: Cmd Buttons on Data Entry Form

This is my first post so please be gentle with me if I've done it wrong.

My Issue:
    I have a database that contains various tasks that a number of people do in multiple locations everyday. I need to keep track of who did what, where and when. I need to create a user interface that these people will be able to use without much effort. I have a mainform that identifies who is entering data, date and time. From there I have subforms in tabs that contain all the tasks grouped together. I'd like to be able to use a cmd button or radio buttons or something that are labeled with the locations and when activated bring up the subforms to add a new entry but also insert the location automatically into the record. So they would open the form enter their identifier and then click one location button like 'surgery' and enter the their task data, then click on another location like 'ICU' and enter the task data for that location, etc.

I'm looking for the best way to accomplish this with the least amount of complexity for me - I hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by sailordane View Post
    I need to keep track of who did what, where and when.
    Keep track how?
    - In a local table
    - In a table in another db
    - In a log file
    - Others (please explain)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailordane View Post
    From there I have subforms in tabs that contain all the tasks grouped together. I'd like to be able to use a cmd button or radio buttons or something that are labeled with the locations and when activated bring up the subforms to add a new entry but also insert the location automatically into the record.
    You'll probably need to explain the structure of these records:
    - What is (are) the name(s) of the table(s) involded?
    - What's the structure of this (these) table(s): name and data type of each column?
    - How is the database structured (relationships among tables)?
    - Is there a table storing all locations, a table storing all tasks, a table storing all users?

Unless unexpected problem, nothing you're asking for seems to be difficult to implement. However it would be very difficult without knowing a bit more about the way your project is organized.

Note: You can easily retrieve the structure of the table(s) by using the function listed at the bottom of the F.A.Q. section of this forum: http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...ml#post6611310
    Have a nice day!

Re: Cmd Buttons on Data Entry Form

Hi,
    In response to your questions. Everything is contained within an Access 2010 database. It is essentially a a database to track workload. Each user is expected to enter their own workload after each work shift. With the exception of a couple of comment fields, the workload is entered as the number of times a task was performed.

Each table contains data related to a specific set to of tasks. e.g. phlebotomy (blood draws), IV starts, dressing changes, etc. The tables are linked by user, date and shift.

A main table contains the user's name, date of entry and shift. User names and shift identification are entered from drop-downs and check boxes respectively. User names and shift types are in separate tables.

The task tables contain username, date and shift as well as location and then a list of tasks. Data for each task is entered as the number of times the task was done during the workshift.

I would like the user portion to display as a main form (name, date, shift) and a series of data entry forms where the user clicks on a button designating the location of where tasks were performed. For each location the data entry form would contain a list of tasks from all the task tables. Users would enter the data for one location and then for each location where work was done. It is the location that triggers a new record.

I think my main problem is:
    a. when a location is selected that location automatically enters the location into the table
    b. when changing locations the previous record is closed and a new record is opened with the new location.

I'm not having a problem to get the name, date & shift transferring over from the main form. Does this help to explain a bit more? I'm not married to the table set up as I have it now so if there is a better way I'm all ears. My main concern is that the users have a data entry interfaces that requires them to do little more than enter their task numbers.

As you can tell, I'm not too sophisticated with this stuff yet so simple explanations/directions work best for me.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    I just approved the last post, so I'm bumping this thread back to the top.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 14
    If I understand your problem clearly:
    1. You can use an unbound form, all required data that are already available come from Combobox controls. A combobox can have more then one column in its list, so its easy to gather all information from the various tables (tasks, users, etc.) then use the AfeterUpdate event of each combo to populate the various Textbox controls of the form. e.g.:
    Code:
    Sub Combo_Tasks_AfterUpdate()

With Me.Combo_Task    
            Me.Text_username.Value =  .Column(w)
            Me.Text_date.Value =  .Column(x)
            Me.Text_shift.Value =  .Column(y)
            Me.Text_location.Value = .Column(z)
        End With
    When all mandatory data are entered, you can use another event (Click for a button for instance) to Save the data.

Without the requested data structure (see my first post) I cannot be more specific here.
    Have a nice day!