Unanswered: Sybase ASE 15 - memory usage in Windows

Hello all

we have some problems with the memory usage of Sybase ASE 15 on Windows 7 with 16 GB RAM installed.

After I restart Sybase ASE Server Windows Resource Monitor shows a normal memory usage which makes sense when comparing it to the memory configuration of Sybase ASE (see attachment).

After some hours the used memory in Resource Configuration goes up until 16 GB and the system (Windows) almost does not react anymore.

The Working Set (KB) of the Sybase service / process shown in Resource Configuration in Windows is still within the defined limit for Sybase ASE.

After restarting the Sybase Service, the memory "In Use" goes back to 3-4 GB which is needed for other applications and Sybase as it is defined in max memory.

It seems to me that either the SYBASE config is still wrong or Sybase just allocates more and more memory after a while.

Do you have any advice here?

Thanks so much already in advance.

Kind regards
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails memory_usage_after_sybase restart.PNG   full_memory.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

Your problem is in the configuration.
    A quick search on sybase configuration of memory would give you the answer.

Memory alocation is done in pages. Each page is 2k. So to use 16gb ( which i wouldn't, you are not leaving much room for other apps and OS ), you have to have your max memory.

max memory 64512 3145728 1572864 .....
    (mem in KB) (number of pages)

So in reality you are allocation 30GB to sybase. Change the page number to the correct number 786432.

Although if ASE keeps using the 16GB you will still have slow response from apps and ASE might be slow performance as well. ( I'm just supposing here, dont know the machine)

memory settings max memory

Hello

thanks a lot for your reply, but I am not sure if I understood it correct.

The max memory is set to 1572864 pages * 2048kb / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 3 GB, right?

So if I have it configured to 3 GB, why does it use up to 16 or more RAM?

Thanks and best regards
    Michael

Provided Answers: 1
    Oh right you are correct, my mistake when reading the numbers.

I'm sorry for the mistake before.

Ok so you are sure that is Syabse taking up all the memory, the apps on the server are not related/using sybase?
    When you reboot the service the app also fails?

memory problems

hello, no worries ...

so if I stop the services from the apps using sybase, the memory usage goes down 1 GB (this is the memory which is allocated for those / this app(s))

when restarting the sybase server then, it goes down from lets say 15 gb used to 3 - 4 gb used.

this means sybase is using all this memory, no?

thanks and best regards
    michael