Unanswered: Database advice for a call log.

Hello,

Im new to using Access so forgive me if I make newbie remarks. Im looking to create a call log. I have a database which contains a form and all the fields required. When you press "save" (next) then it obviously logs that group of data. However if the same person calls again i want it so i can put their name/address in and all their data appears (so we can already see all their previous data entered by the call handler).

If anyone could give me some advice that would be great as im at a bit of a loss.

Matt.

Provided Answers: 59
    it all depends on the design of your db

assuming your have followed the precepts of good realtional db design (normalisation and so on)

I'd expect to have a table which identifies callers
    that call table will have a primary key which identifies individual users
    that column will be used as a foreign key in pther tbales as required to identify indiviudlas

I'd expect to have a table for, say conversations
    how you design that entity is upto you, it could be one or more tables, depends on your business requirements or design.

in that conversations entity at some point you neeed to identify who a specific conversation was with.

to find conversations with a specific users in an Access form, I'd suggest you have combo box with users. use that combo box as a means to set a filter, that limits the rows shown to just that customer. seelect on a specific row of the multi row form to display details of a previous convesation with that user. uyou may also want to include a 'remove filter button' to show all calls
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for your reply. At this time i just have the one database as i wasnt sure exactly how to go about it.

I did read creating two is a good idea and linking them using ID as a primary key. So if i use a combobox will that enable to auto populate fields on the form when a particular customer has been selected. Sorry if thats a ridiculous question. The amount of calls can be anywhere in access of 50 per day so would a combobox be suitable?

Thanks again.

Provided Answers: 14
    Healdem adviced you to create two tables not two databases!
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    if it were my design Id probably be looking at:-
    a table for:-
    Customers:- identifying anything relevant to customers (eg role, number, email and so on)
    Agents:- employees within your organisation answering or initiating the call
    Conversations:- recording the headline information for a conversation (when it started, when it ended who the customer was, who the internal agent was and so on
    ConversationDetails, salient points in that conversation uses the same PK as Conversations but adds an item or sequence number so that specific things can be associated with a conversation. my thinking being that there may be different discrete items you'd want to record in a conversation
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton