Unanswered: Visual Foxpro and MySQL connection

All my projects are done using Visual FoxPro 9 and I would like to migrate my Visual FoxPro database to MySQL database which is located in my remote Web Hosting Server.

I will still use Visual FoxPro to develop the front-end User-Interface but will connect to the back-end MySQL database server via internet connection.

Any advice and suggestion on how to achieve the above will be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 1
    First off I might suggest you get a copy of Rick Strahl's book:
    Internet Applications with Visual FoxPro 6.0
    Internet Applications with Visual FoxPro 6.0: Rick Strahl, Gary DeWitt: 9780965509398: Amazon.com: Books

You might also want to post your questions directly on Rick's site:
    West Wind Message Board

Next I might suggest you do some Google searches where you will find 'hits' like:
    Microsoft: Visual FoxPro - web application thru VFP
    Microsoft: Visual FoxPro - import data from the web

A lot depends on a number of criteria.
    * Is your web-server in-house or out on the web?
    * Can your local MySQL Management tools directly access the database?
    * etc.

Good Luck

Visual Foxpro and MySQL connection

Hi jrbbldr. thank you for your reply,

The Web-Server is hosted remotely on a Web Hosting company which provides services like "multiple MySQL" databases, FTP, Email accounts, etc.

I basically want my VFP 9 applications installed on several remote locations to access the central MySQL database in the Web Hosting company via the Internet connections.

I understand the 2 books you recommended was published more than 10 years ago for VFP 6 and was wondering whether it is still relevant today given the rapid change of technology and if VFP 9 has already implement similar or new features mentioned in the 2 books.

I would gladly buy those books if it is still relevant today on VFP 9.

Thanks again for your advice.

Just in case you have run out of reading material.
    curl and libcurl

Here is another book that I had not found before that looks like it might be of use to you.
    WebRAD: Building Database Applications on the Web with Visual FoxPro and Web Connection
    WebRAD: Building Database Applications on the Web with Visual FoxPro and Web Connection: Harold Chattaway, Randy Pearson, Whil Hentzen, Barbara Peisch: 9781930919075: Amazon.com: Books

And here is another web reference page for you to look over:
    Visual Foxpro Web Development

True, both books were written about 10 years ago.
    But there haven't been many VFP books put out since then of any kind.

In general, you cannot directly connect an in-house VFP application to a database that resides on the web.
    You will have to use additional 'tools' to support that connection.
    Generally that involves one or more 'tools' on the Server-side and possibly another 'tool' on the Client-side (although this is not as likely).

My work of this type has not been extensive, but has involved having VFP make SOAP or HTTP Post/Get Requests from the Server (supported by Server-side 'tools') And the response times varied greatly depending on how the Web traffic in-general was at the time - but it was typically no where near as quick as utilizing an in-house database (VFP, MS SQL Server, or MySQL Server)

Yes over the last 10 years the variety of 'tools' have evolved, but most of the early ones still exist and work.

I'll repeat my previous recommendation that you post a question on the West-Wind Message board for Rick Strahl.
    West Wind Message Board (see 'New Message' in page top menu)
    He is one of the most knowledgeable individuals about using VFP in conjunction with the Web.
    (2 example articles: Large Scale Web Application with Visual FoxPro
    Building distribued HTTP Applications with Visual FoxPro)
    And, as a result, he has his own set of 'tools' (such as West Wind Web Connection for Visual FoxPro) which could be utilized if desired.

Lastly, here is an interesting (?) post I found with some web 'surfing':
    How can I access my 000webhost mysql database on VisualFoxPro - Free Web Hosting Forum
    It implies that it might be possible to establish a 'direct' ODBC connection to a web-hosted MySQL Server.
    I have no idea if this is valid or not, but perhaps it is worth a look.

Good Luck

Let me add one more related comment that I have 'lifted' from another very knowledgeable guru's posting on another forum site.

SQL Server or MySQL databases can be hosted [on the Web] allowing remote access, which includes access from a desktop client. You have to look for hosters allowing that, mostly hosted database access is limited to localhost, meaning you can only query directly at the server.

Just one more thing to take into consideration.

Good Luck