Question Unanswered: more devices or bigger volumes?

Hi,

my 1st post

Ok, my question is about the number of database devices.

Let's assume there is one LUN ( 50GB, EMC Symmetrix ) and I'm working with Veritas Volume Manager 6:

I want to create a database with seperated data and log fragment.

Is it better to create only on big volume of 50 GB for data fragment or e.g. two volumes each of 25 GB? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I'm benefitting of two volumes with regard to throughput and access times by splitting the 50GB LUN.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
    Heinz

Provided Answers: 54
    I can't see any benefit to splitting the LUN based on the information that you've provided. Are you seeing any bottlenecks so far (on this machine or any other), or are you trying to avoid creating a bottleneck that doesn't exist yet?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

My thought was that multiple accesses on the data segment by different parallel processes would be better satisfied.
    Only an idea!

Yes, in the end it's the same LUN, but my hope is that VxVM can handle
    this by different caches for each volume (and therewith for each database device ).
    The LUN itself is even only a "virtual" disk ( sliced from RAID 5 ) with a cache in the SAN box.

Heinz

My idea was to split the I/O. Perhaps there is a performance gain if the database is able to write
    parallel into two veritas volumes ( database devices ).

Yes, in the end it's the same LUN, but the LUN itself is also virtualized ( sliced from a RAID5 in the EMC Symmetrix ).

Provided Answers: 54
    You could certainly give it a try, but I'd bet that if performance changes at all it will decrease.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.