Smile Design choices for an inventory database?

So I am about to start designing an inventory management software for a newly opened utility store. The store has around 3000 different products and their will be two sales counter in the store, with MS Windows OS in their PCs, so two people will be using the database simultaneously. I know about the database fundamentals like, their should be a product table, transactions table, queries etc... but I have a couple of questions. Firstly how should I handle the multi user access, should there be a third system in the store that will act as a server and house a back end database? If yes, what OS will be used i the server? Will it be a web based or non web app with multiuser environment? Secondly what database software should I use for this purpose- MS Access, MySQL, Oracle...finally what language to use for front end...

Actually its my first experience so I need some guidance, I am a fast learner and have about a month's time for all this, so any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

If you need to open the store in a month and aren't prepared to dedicate the next six months to nothing but the point of sale program, then buy a point of sale and use the database that it provides. There is no way that a store with only two registers can support a full time developer or "application owner", no business can generate enough sales in the first few years to support that kind of financial burden.

It is great that you've got interest, but right now you need to focus on your business instead of building and maintaining a single tool that you can easily buy.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat

I notice your recent messages seem to be dated "Feb 2004" - is this intentional ?

Barry in London

No id suggest you look again
    PatP joined dBForums in February 2004, whereas you joined dBForums in July 2012
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

My Bad

Strange - Hmmm !!!

A Data Model to help you

On my Database Answers Web Site I have over 17 Data Models for Inventory.
    Thus one for Retail might help you :-
    Data Model for Inventory Control for a Retail Store

I am also developing a Cloud-based Application that might be interesting for you.

HTH

Barry in London