Unanswered: Designing a database

I am working on a long term project of making a functioning database, right now I am working on setting up a design for it.

I'll start off with a copy/paste from the teacher to better explain-

"A brief written description of your database project. Include some general information about the context in which your database will be used as well as specific information about how the two forms and two reports will be used (i.e. what purpose do these objects serve in your final database product). What are some typical questions that the user will be able to answer with your database.

An entity-relationship diagram of your tables and the relationships between the tables. In the tables, include the names of the fields in each table with the primary key and foreign key (if necessary) clearly identified. There are a number of ways in which you can create the ER diagram to submit

Neatly hand drawn and scanned

With Microsoft word (this can be done using text boxes for the tables and Insert –Shapes for the relations)

Create the tables and relations in Access and take a screen shot of the relationship view
    A number of other drawing tools which you might be familiar with.
    "

The long term goal is to create a database to store the results of the Na LCS League of Legends tournament. To non gamers out there think of it like any other sports tournament database, I want to include players, teams, match statistics and all of that in a database, in the long term.

I can easily write what I intend to show, what I am having more troubles with designing it. So far what I have is imgur: the simple image sharer

I cant figure out how to best divide the data into tables, and what kind of relationships I want because a team each team has 5 players, but the players semi regularly switch teams, or get cut from the team and replaced with new players. help?

Provided Answers: 59
    so have a look at:-
    http://www.informationqualitysolutio...tionPoster.pdf

Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com

The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design

whats missing from your design at present

well relationships. in my books there is stuff all point in using a realtional db and not defining realtionships

this forum will help, but it wont do homework. you need to do most of the running yourself. if there is a particular thorny porblme post it here, but you need to demonsxtrate that you are doing your homework, not passing off others work as your own
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 24
    Tables: tTeams, tPlayers, tStats...maybe tGames
    1 team has many players
    1 player has many stats, and games
    1 game has many teams. (2 acutally)
    Start here.

Ok, I officially suck at using forums. I've made 3 posts that dont appear to be getting posted. So this might be shorter than my previous versions.

What I've created so far is http://i.imgur.com/dzAj8qy.png?1 . I can't tell if my "JunctionTable" is needed or not. I feel like the best way to find the current active roster of a team is to store when players played on each team, then run a query to find current active players. Is my JunctionTable need/helping or is it bandaging a problem?

My second question is for advice on what to use for a primary key for MatchResults. I currently am using DatePlayed and the 2 TeamID s of teams playing. But I cant tell if that is messy and overly long. I want to just use Autonum to create a game ID, but that would reduce my normalization.

any feedback would be appreciated, especially about my relationships.
    Last edited by distantdeath; 05-13-14 at 13:07.

I am reading your links now Healdem, I'll see if they help me make sense of it.

Ok, I officially suck at using forums. I've made 3 posts that dont appear to be getting posted. So this might be shorter than my previous versions.

What I've created so far is http://i.imgur.com/dzAj8qy.png?1 . I can't tell if my "JunctionTable" is needed or not. I feel like the best way to find the current active roster of a team is to store when players played on each team, then run a query to find current active players. Is my JunctionTable need/helping or is it bandaging a problem?

My second question is for advice on what to use for a primary key for MatchResults. I currently am using DatePlayed and the 2 TeamID s of teams playing. But I cant tell if that is messy and overly long. I want to just use Autonum to create a game ID, but that would reduce my normalization.

any feedback would be appreciated, especially about my relationships.

Provided Answers: 14
    From what you posted you need a junction table as it's the only way to create many-to-many relationships, which you need in you project.

Note: If you want to post a picture, please do it using the "Manage attachments" button in the advanced page (button "Go advanced"). I don't see me (and probably neither many others) accepting to open an unknown link to an external unknown site.
    Have a nice day!

Sinnhdo sorry about that, i'll upload files from now on. Let me know if this file works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newestversion.jpg