Unanswered: Incremental DB Backup in ASCII

Friends,

I have to record the DB changes that have been done on a day in the informix server. To clarify better:

Today i have a DB and it has table "X" where it has 2000 records. Now on a day the DB has been updated with 100 rows for the table "X". As a total it has 2100 records at EOD in the table "X".Depending on my transaction, there is a possibility that already existing out 2000 records 200 records may get updated. Is there a way in informix to get the data these newly inserted 100 records + updated 100 records from the table "X".

In my DB table, there is no field for Date entry. i have the informix version 11.50 FC5.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

there is an existing global functionality called AUDIT that allows to do this kind of things.
    It is an overall process handled by the server that can monitor all the operations on your db server. Audit records will be written into a file that you can handle with the onshowaudit command, eventually create an external table on top of the output file.

The trade-off of audit is that it will overload your system ressource as much as you use it intensively.

If you keep its use limited on tracking INSERTS UPDATES and DELETE on one table, this would not penalize your system too much. Give it a try on a test environment first so you can evaluate the impact

The functionality is easy to implement, 3 or 4 parameters in your onconfig file, and check the onaudit and onshowaudit commands in the documentation to understand how you can implement this.

Another way is to use triggers on this table, activated by insert, update and delete...
    I would choose the audit solution if you can determine it will not eat too much system resource, because it is more flexible. you can start and stop, modify monitored objects at will, without intrusion for the users activity.

Regards,
    Eric

Incremental DB Backup

Thanks Eric. Nice piece of information, that you have shared. Currently the Informix is running in Solaris.

I will check with an DBA on modifying the onconfig parameters to get the data.

I have few concerns here:

1.Will it backup the all the tables or present in the DB or we can formulate a way to get the data only for selected tables. I'm interested only on the selected tables, so that it doesn't affect the system performance.

2. Can the audit file generated can be readable using the "onshowAudit" command?

3. Is there any document or link available to modify the onconfig parameters to get the audit reports clean? Kindly share if any.

Thanks
    Hari

Provided Answers: 1
    Thanks Eric. Nice piece of information, that you have shared. Currently the Informix is running in Solaris.

I will check with an DBA on modifying the onconfig parameters to get the data.

I have few concerns here:

1.Will it backup the all the tables or present in the DB or we can formulate a way to get the data only for selected tables. I'm interested only on the selected tables, so that it doesn't affect the system performance.
    => It will register only the operations you declare, nothing else. Granularity can be a mix of table, operation (select, update, insert or delete) and also user

2. Can the audit file generated can be readable using the "onshowAudit" command?
    onshowaudit does exactly this!

3. Is there any document or link available to modify the onconfig parameters to get the audit reports clean? Kindly share if any.
    you can check a presentation I had written as a high level introduction,
    Ibm informix security functionality overview

then check the production documentation
    IBM Knowledge Center

By the way, if you are registered in www.iiug.org do not forget the votation of the board of directors.

Regards,
    Eric