Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Access 2007 - can't open from other machines

My database is stored on a machine that runs Access 2007 and until this morning all other machines could access the database. Now I can only open the database from that machine. All other machines can see its files/folders. I have not made any changes yesterday or today. If a user attempts to open the database on any machine other than the one it is stored on it freezes and then error message "disk or network error" pops up. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Provided Answers: 14
    Is the database split? Is there enough space on the disk of the machine where the database is stored? Are the permissions all right for "external" users on the shared folder?
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post

Is the database split?
    This could be a network problem, unrelated to Access, but from the OP's description I'm guessing that the answer to "is the database split" is 'no,' and it simply has to be!

Having multiple users sharing a single file, on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior!

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past eight years have seen literally dozens and dozens of reports of non-split databases, using links to a single file, causing these kinds of problems, as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

Multi-user databases simply have to be split!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

My opinion, exactly.
    Have a nice day!

I'm not very educated in Access so I'm not sure what you mean by "split". One part/file of the database is all the pretty tables where you enter the data. The other file/part is what I would call the back-end where all the code is written. We did have a storm the other night and may have lost power but the strange thing is that all machines can see/access/open all files on the server EXCEPT for the database file.

In a split Access application the front-end is an Access file that contains the users interfaces and everything that goes with (forms, reports, macros, queries, modules). The back-end is the data container. It's also an Access file that contains only tables. A copy of the front-end must be installed on each computer that runs the application, while the back-end (which is unique) resides on a file server. Linked (or attached) tables in the FE allow it to exchange data with the tables in the BE.
    Have a nice day!

Then yes, the database is split. Now what?

Did you try to re-link the tables?
    Have a nice day!

I am a novice Access user so I don't know how to do that. When I open the back-end and go to Database Utilities, Linked Table Manager, it says there are no linked tables in the current database. Is that what you're talking about?

It's in the Front-end that you must relink the table to the Back-end. In Access 2007 or 2010, right-click on a linked table (one that has an arrow to the right in the left of the icon), then select liked tables manager in the popup menu.
    Have a nice day!

The front end interface does not allow me to access anything like that. I've attached a screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails database.jpg  

It's not in the ribbon, its in the object explorer (left side of the Access window). Press F11 if it's hidden. If the database is locked, you'll need to unlock it first, though.
    Have a nice day!

Nothing shows up on the left side "Navigation Pane" so it must be locked. Any ideas on how to unlock?

Try holding down the Shift key when opening the database. If it does not work you could have to ask the person who developed the application.
    Have a nice day!

Ok, I got in but it looks like they're all linked. I'm wondering if maybe it is a networking issue instead. I can open the database just fine on the machine it is stored on but not from others. It functions properly only on that machine.