Unanswered: What are the appropriate steps I should take after our postgre DB crashes?

Hey guys, I'm new to Postgres and wanted to know are there any sort of documents available explaining steps one should take once a database fails, and restarting it, how to go about tracing down the issues that caused it?

any input would be of huge help to me, i'm just trying to learn and pick up on all this on the fly.

Thanks

I would enable DB logs so that if there is a problem with the DB or if it crashes, the logs can give me an idea about the root cause
    Last edited by parora1; 05-19-14 at 17:18. Reason: typo

You may look at your archiving/backup strategy

Any failure in postgresql can cause infinite doom and gloom if you're not properly performing backups and archiving. You really want to look at the documentation for these items and determine what your organization really needs in the event of a problem. You might also wish to study replication, if the needs is for a highly reliable and available database system.
    --
    Jay

Thanks!

Yeah we implemented streaming

Quote Originally Posted by jay at Verizon View Post
    Any failure in postgresql can cause infinite doom and gloom if you're not properly performing backups and archiving. You really want to look at the documentation for these items and determine what your organization really needs in the event of a problem. You might also wish to study replication, if the needs is for a highly reliable and available database system.
    --
    Jay