Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Brilliant Database Newsroom

I signed up and subscribed to Brilliant Database 'Newsroom' about 1-1/2 years ago but have never received a single update, news story, or anything from them. Has anyone received any information directly from Brilliant Database regarding news stories or any update information?
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl
    I always assumed this was just a automated version of their "news" on the web site. Logically you should have got some emails about V10. Seems like another erractic feature of BD organisation. I just click on the site every now and then incase something new has appeared.
    Regards
    David

David,
    I was curious if, for example, notices of special deals were sent out to people that had purchased the software. Also, I was wondering if something was amiss with my E-mail address since I had to literally E-mail Brilliant Database 20+ times in order to get the upgrade to v10.5 (it worked fine when I purchased the software). I thought that if I was having no success and receiving no response with the upgrade request AND that no notices were ever sent from the newsroom that maybe my E-mail address was caught in their SPAM filter. I did sign up to the newsroom with another E-mail address about two months ago but I have never received anything - not even a hello, welcome, buy our product... nothing.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 54
    It appears to me (as an outsider) that Brilliant Database has a great product but that they are lacking a bit in terms of support, marketing, etc.

No one can be good at everything, it would be great for both Mikhail, Brilliant Database, and the Brilliant community if they would hire someone to handle the product marketing and support That would allow Mikhail to focus on what he does well, and the growth in the product and community would help the company (and Mikhail) to prosper.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat,
    The more I use this program, the more amazed I am with what it is actually capable of. Granted, one oftentimes has to be very creative with developing a solution to a particular requirement but this nifty program is powerful. On the opposite spectrum, it is the marketing and support areas that are very much lacking.

I had a great amount of difficulty in starting to use Brilliant Database because of the lack of any clear directions (Recordset... what the heck is a Recordset?) as this product operates in its own unique fashion. The User's Guide was of little use initially because it simply made no sense to me; however, Mikhail and Brilliant Database could benefit ten-fold if he was able to convince our friend James Tubbritt to write a user's guide using practical examples!
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 54
    In the 1980s, a gentleman named Philippe Kahn created a program that was a technical tour-de-force but a documentation and marketing disaster. He was a brilliant architect and coder, but he couldn't do that and run a company at the same time so his product languished for several years.

A few of us finally convinced Philippe to let members of the community help him with the areas where he was weak, allowing him to focus on the areas where he was strong and the company took off like a rocket ship. The company grew around him, and finally beyond him but he played a key part for many years.

I don't know Mikhail. We've never met or even exchanged emails. Based on what I've learned from the community, I'm sure that I've worked with people like Mikhail. He will either wear himself down (probably assisted by drugs or alcohol) or he will seek help from the community. If Mikhail wears himself out, Brilliant Database will live on for a few years helped by a die-hard core like you and James. If Mikhail turns to the community, he could well become something of a geek folk hero and end up with a very successful company and wealth beyond the imagination of most Russians.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Brilliant over the next two or three years. The gestation of V10 has all of the earmarks I associate with either the final iteration of a product or the last solo one before the product really took off. I'd love to see Brilliant thrive, but historically most software entrepreneurs like Mikhail aren't able to give up enough control to allow the product/company to achieve its potential.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 17
    If Mikhail followed the direction Pat was referring to with Philippe Kahn, I think that would be very exciting as Mikhail has clearly created a fantastic product, but it needs to be taken to the next level now. One man can only do so much.

I'd love to even see someone buying into the company. Someone strong with marketing and support.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 1
    maybe some kind of kickstarter stuff will do a miracle.

i really really would love that mikhail would have a conversation with people in the forum... i mean, he is the owner... but i guess there could be a lot of grate ideas about his company.

fer...

(i just hope that if he finally quit the development of brilliant, he would realease brilliant as opensource) i mean i have been developing for 2 1/2 year now and i dont want to get avandoned.