Unanswered: My sql 2005 database won't shrink.

I have a 34gig .mdf file and a 28gig .ldf file on a database in Simple recovery mode. I mistakenly added another .ldf to the database that I can't delete because I can't empty it.

I have tried shrinking the 28gig .ldf file but instead of getting smaller it gets bigger.

I have autogrowth by 10% unrestricted. I have done backups.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Shrink is working fine on system databases.

Provided Answers: 54
    Did the EMPTYFILE option fail, return an error, or do something different when you tried to clear the file so that you could drop it?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

DBCC SHRINKFILE (N'tempdblog2' , EMPTYFILE)
    ALTER DATABASE [db] REMOVE FILE [tempdblog2]

It says it executes emptyfile successfully, but then remove gets

The file 'tempdblog2' cannot be removed because it is not empty.

Provided Answers: 11
    If the database is in FULL recovery mode, you may need to backup the transactions in the file to clear it. Run
    Code:
    dbcc loginfo()
    to see if there are any active VLFs in the second file. Acctive VLFs will have a non-zero status. FileID should be 3 for the second logfile, unless other datafiles were added along the way. you can check what the actual file id for the rogue log file by checking in the sys.database_files view.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    If the database is in FULL recovery mode, you may need to backup the transactions in the file to clear it. Run
    Code:
    dbcc loginfo()
    to see if there are any active VLFs in the second file. Acctive VLFs will have a non-zero status. FileID should be 3 for the second logfile, unless other datafiles were added along the way. you can check what the actual file id for the rogue log file by checking in the sys.database_files view.
    There are at least 20 active VLFs. Is there a way to stop them? This just went over my head.

Thanks

I should have mentioned this is the server ran out of space and I used the .mdf and .ldf files to move it to a server with more space. Could this be the issue?

Provided Answers: 11
    Run this query:
    Code:
    select name, recovery_model_desc, log_reuse_wait_desc
    from sys.databases
    where name = 'your database name here'
    This will tell you if the database is in FULL recovery mode, and if you need to backup the log, before you can remove the third file. If the log_reuse_wait_desc is not "Log_Backup", then you may need to look for active transactions in the database.

MCrowley I really appreciate the help. It looks like it is

dbname SIMPLE REPLICATION

It is stuck in Replication

MCrowley you set me in the right direction. Once I found out it was in replication I ran

EXEC sp_removedbreplication db

And now I was able to clear the growing log file issue.

Thanks again.