Unanswered: Latitude and longitude to UTM 33N

Hi.

I'm looking for an update method to update/convert longitude and latitude into UTM 33N

I have searched but found no clear solution.

something like

update table
    set table.column = longitude to UTM 33N

How would i go about this?

Best regards,

Nicolai

Provided Answers: 54
    The forumulas are doozies, and at first glance they look more complex than the original Mercator projection calculations. The Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system article at Wikipedia lays out the background and the formulas that you'll need.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi.

Yes i saw that.

A bit out of my League, but I'll give it a og.

Nicolai

Just to add a little extra challenge for you, zone 33N happens to be one of the exception zones because of Svarlbard. Be sure to accomodate the exceptions (this sounds like a lookup table to me)!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 59
    there may be something relevant in the geospatial extensions for MySQL.

but am I missing something? I thought the WGS, Mercator and so so are all about ways of coercing the logical spherical model onto the actual ellipsoid with 'lumps and bumps' real world. there is no single ideal fit for these sort of projections. WGS 84 is probably the best on a global scale, but its not very good compared to a more localised projection

out of curiosity what makes you need the UTM co-ordinate as opposed to a lat/long which at 5 or 6 decimal places may well give a false sense of precision.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    there may be something relevant in the geospatial extensions for MySQL.

but am I missing something? I thought the WGS, Mercator and so so are all about ways of coercing the logical spherical model onto the actual ellipsoid with 'lumps and bumps' real world. there is no single ideal fit for these sort of projections. WGS 84 is probably the best on a global scale, but its not very good compared to a more localised projection

out of curiosity what makes you need the UTM co-ordinate as opposed to a lat/long which at 5 or 6 decimal places may well give a false sense of precision.
    i need the UTM in the R package Adehabitat for analysis of animal movement...

UTM is often used for land registries, especially in northern Europe. I'm going to guess that this is the prime motivator, driven by user demand.

So much for my bright idea... After I posted this, I saw the explanation from vestlink.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    UTM is often used for land registries, especially in northern Europe. I'm going to guess that this is the prime motivator, driven by user demand.

So much for my bright idea... After I posted this, I saw the explanation from vestlink.

-PatP
    Well you are right about the motivation factor :-)

I wrote 33N but actually I'm looking for Conversion in the 32N region. I'll try to figure out how to implement the formulas in a Select sentence in MYSql

But thanks anyway for Your respons PatP