Unanswered: Difficulty in designing my database

Hello there, Ladies & Gentlemen!
    I'm glad I joined the forum & I've a feeling that i'm in safe hands. My problem is, for several months I've read about database concepts, but every time I set out to develop one, I get frustrated. I'm especially interested in developing a package in MS Access 2013.
    Thanks.

Provided Answers: 24
    Best way to start...Jump in. Build a db of something ( like a video rental store or something you need)
    You'll need videos, customers, etc.
    USE THE WIZARDS..to build table, queries, etc.
    Then when you hit a wall..come here and ask.
    I found it was the BEST learning method.

Provided Answers: 19
    We're happy to help you solve finite problems, but we're not here to develop databases for you, out of whole cloth.

ranman256's suggestion are right on, vis--vis learning Access/VBA! You could look for a database template that approximates your needs; you didn't even tell us what kind of a database you're looking to develop! Play with a template to seeing how things work, then try your hand at it. Either start from scratch with a blank database or start off using a template. Then, as ranman256 said, when you run into a problem, return here and ask for advice.

Also note that
    • It's important to give your posts topic titles that allow our members to see exactly what you need help with; your vague title 'Difficulty in designing my database' is probably why 65 members looked at your question before anyone attempted to respond.
    • Each post should contain a single problem; unless two or more problems are very closely related, place them in separate posts.

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 05-20-14 at 22:05.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Appreciation for Responses

Thanks. I got it and I'll try as much as I can to comply. Bear with me ... I'm new. Thanks once again

Provided Answers: 19
    As I said, when you run into specific problems, return here for help!

Welcome to the dbForums!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Cool a little tip

Quote Originally Posted by mtella View Post
    Thanks. I got it and I'll try as much as I can to comply. Bear with me ... I'm new. Thanks once again
    Hi mtella and Welcome. I just wanted to give you a little tip that helped me when I first got into databases. Browse some sample databases provided by Access. Find one that's small, go to the Design View of that database, then Open each Table, Query, Form, Report etc. and see what is going on. Just view it and get a grasp of what is inside...i.e. in the Form Design View I would maybe RightClick on a CommandButton and view the Code associated with it.
    But I will tell you the absolute first thing I would really suggest. Check out the TABLE(s). THAT is truly where you will make a great database or not. Just like a building...it's only as good as the foundation it is built on. Once you really understand the Table Structure the rest is just a matter of viewing existing code. That's how I learned and though no genius I have created many databases that worked as designed without a hiccup. And THEN years later when I found this wonderful forum, I became much better at it. The people here are just the BEST ever and have always been a great help. Though I'm not designing databases much these days ( getting more into my music) I still dabble.But as they stated, nobody here will design your entire database for you. There is a place on the forum when you may be able to acquire someone for a fee. So do some studying and observing and give it a whirl them come back when you get stuck in a specific task. READ all the info at the beginning of this forum on how to post and stuff and that will be a help.

Take care
    Bud

Your tips are helpful. I was having the same problem with the database that im doing.

I need a push in the right direction

I need to create a database of apartment buildings each with a different layout. Floors vary from 5 to 44, rooms per floor vary, some are numbered, some are lettered.

The goal is to track when a room was painted, by whom, which paint number was used, date and a few other variables.

Once I get past this basic part I can work on creating quotes for future work, scheduling, etc.

I programmed in Clipper and dBase too many years ago but this is beyond anything I dealt with because of the variation of the buildings and floors.

If someone can make a suggestion as to table and field layout I think I can take it from there. In my eyes I can't get off home plate never mind get to first base.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. BTW at this point I am simply in table tools, not even looking at code.

Provided Answers: 24
    tBuildings : to store: [BldID], [bldg name], [addr],[super] etc
    tRooms : flds:[BldID], [floor], [Rm#]
    tRoomMaint : if you want to track maintence on each room
    tPeople : who lives in rooms, the supers, etc

@ranman256
    Thanks, I'm off toward first base! I now realize that in addition to planning the layout of various tables, I'm not going to create EVERY apt on every floor, I'll leave that to some kind of input to determine if a new record needs to be created or an existing one needs to be updated.

Hmm, I'm longing for Clipper right about now, I have to forget all that stuff to make room for this new stuff.