Unanswered: Progress database help

Hi

I need to migrate some data from Progress database to SQL server but have no idea about Progress. I only have a bunch of tables and files containing the data. Can anyone advise how to proceed step by step please? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    The answer is the ever popular: "It depends".

Do you need to parallel the servers, or just do a point in time conversion?

How are the servers connected to each other (LAN, WAN, Internet, two-tin-cans-and string, other) ?

Can you configure the computer running your SQL Server to access the machine that is running PostgreSQL? If so, at what speed?

Is the data governed by any external agency? Do you need to cope with HIPPA, SOX, PCI, or other compliance audits?

Whew, that will be enough to start this conversation... I'll have more questions once you answer these!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks for reply Pat. Like you said Whew
    Ok let me get going with it. I know nothing about Progress (first time I've ever come across that). Total newbie.

1) I just need a point in time conversion that's it, I will just dump the old legacy Progress database and use SQL Server.

2) I have all the Progress tables/files on my local machine.

3) Some bloke did that legacy database and data is for a local business that wants some database improvements with user friendly GUIs

I do not have any Progress server or client running at the moment, just these data files/tables on my computer. Hope this clarifies the situation a little bit

The quick and dirty way to do this is to:
    1. Visit the PostgreSQL ODBC download page and root through the folders to find the "best fit" for your SQL Server. My first choice would be an MSI file for a 64 bit ODBC driver, but your options may vary. Download and install this driver on the Windows machine that runs your SQL Server.
    2. Create an appropriate PostgreSQL ODBC Connection string. The quickest way to test this is via the Control Panel ODBC manager.
    3. Use the ODBC Connection string to create a SQL Server Linked-Server to your ODBC database.
    4. Optional but highly recommended, implement Connect PostgreSQL Database from SSIS Package
    At this point you can copy tables between PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server using several familiar tools. There are several "gotchas" that we'll need to deal with later, but you need to get at least this far before they become an issue.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks very much for your precious advice. Will try this out. What I did so far was to come to this page and downloaded an Express version that is free to use for up to 2GB and 100 tables.

Ispirer - Downloading Ispirer SQLWays Tool

The only problem am having with that Express wizard is that it is asking for a DSN and the ODBC driver. However, I see no options to choose the source '.db' Progress extension although the Express version is for 'Progress to SQL Server migration'. So I will have a go at your method and see how it goes for now. Thanks.

Pat, I have downloaded an msi installer for 64bit ODBC driver and installed it. Stuck with step no 2 though, when I am creating the ODBC connection string, it is asking for the server name and database. At this point, I do not have any server running except for SQL Server 2008. Do I need to setup a PostgreSQL server or something? Any help on how to proceed?

Ummm... Hold on a second or three! I was having a world class "brain fart" and reading PostgreSQL where you were writing Progress. My comments are completely meaningless because I was thinking the wrong thing entirely!

The Progress .DB file is comparable to the Microsoft SQL Server .mdf file... Data stored as the database engine wants it. I don't think that there is any practical/reliable way to read that file without installing a copy of the Progress database engine.

-PatP

Happens to all of us. Was going to mention that but anyways no problem. Any advice on how to get the Progress engine up and running please? I have no idea what version of Progress was used to create the database. Thanks.

Oh great heavens... It has been just over a decade since the last time I used the Progress database, and at that time I was porting data off of it so I never needed to do an installation. I'm afraid that I'm not able to give you even a pointer on this problem, although I'd ask your client to determine what version of Progress they are using (that should be easy to find via Windows Add/Remove Programs on the Progress server).

I'd probably ask to use your client's server to extract the data. This is by far the most technically efficient way to get the data, but it may be impractical. If that doesn't work, your client may have installation files or media that may help you get a "trial version" up and running to export the data.

-PatP