Unanswered: Linking two id's

Hello,

I would be grateful if you could help me with this one problem.

I have two tables. One named title, other users.

The table 'users' has column called group_id. The group_id stores numbers from one to four.

For example:

group_Id

The tables 'groups' has a column called title and id. The title holds a string like ( E8-1 - it's name of class in school ) and the id holds a number(it represents which class is which, like in real school there are many clases), from one to four, like in the users table.

It looks like this:
    id title
    1 I7-1
    2 I7-2
    3 I-6 (2013)
    4 I-5

group_id represents the number of a student. For example if there are two instances of a number 2(that means, that there are 2 students is going into I7-2 class, because that id has 2 as well).

What I need to do is get a new table, which counts how many students are going into particular class. How should I do that ? I tried using SUM, GROUP BY, but it didn't work. I am new to databases, so maybe I am missing something.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    So you are going to need the count aggregate function, a group by clause, a join statement assuming you want the class description as opposed to just the class id. Something like:-
    Code:
    Select count(users.group_id) as NoInClass, groups.title 
    from users
    join groups on users.group_id = groups.id
    group by groups.id
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    So you are going to need the count aggregate function, a group by clause, a join statement assuming you want the class description as opposed to just the class id. Something like:-
    Code:
    Select count(users.group_id) as NoInClass, groups.title 
    from users
    join groups on users.group_id = groups.id
    group by groups.id
    It does seem to work, thanks.

But I don't quite understand which line of the code 'sums up' how many group_id's(students going to the same class) are. It first adds all the group_id - count(users.group_id), and then adds up the same numbers (group by groups.id), so if i have two 2's, then it will be 4?

Thanks, it works.

Though I don't fully understand the code. What place exactly does the adding up of the same group_id's(students going to the same class)?
    Is it by using count(adding all the group_id's) at first and then grouping up them(adding only the same group_id's) ?

Testing this

EDIT: Sorry for the spamming a bit, I thought I missed something when replying, because messages didn't pop up, now I see that posts required permission.
    Last edited by Akimb; 05-22-14 at 12:33.

Provided Answers: 59
    Its not adding/summing, its using the count function to COUNT the number of rows GROUPed BY the class/group_id

look up the count function
    look up the group by keywords

you could get the same effect by simplifying the query
    Code:
    Select count(users.group_id) as NoInClass, users.group_id
    from users
    group by users.groups_id
    Last edited by healdem; 05-22-14 at 14:15.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton