Critique database design

Hello all, I am new to the forums as well as to a job as a clerk. My first hurdle is to bring a little order to our files. I want to create a database to help us locate documents in the office. The database also has to help us keep track of when we legally have to destroy them and when they have been destroyed. The design I have come up with is only to the 2NF I believe. I am very new to database design.

I have a "Document" table which consists of DocCode, DocName and DocType. I have a second "Destruction" table which consists of DocCode, DestroyDate and DateDestroyed. As I type this I think I will need a third table for storage of permanent documents - DocCode, StorageDate and DateStored seems to be simple.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you so much for your time!

If your tables serve your needs, then use them as they are. Nth normal form is a worthy goal but rarely a requirement in business.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

A Data Model for you

Quote Originally Posted by ebr250 View Post
    Hello all, I am new to the forums as well as to a job as a clerk. My first hurdle is to bring a little order to our files. I want to create a database to help us locate documents in the office. The database also has to help us keep track of when we legally have to destroy them and when they have been destroyed. The design I have come up with is only to the 2NF I believe. I am very new to database design.

I have a "Document" table which consists of DocCode, DocName and DocType. I have a second "Destruction" table which consists of DocCode, DestroyDate and DateDestroyed. As I type this I think I will need a third table for storage of permanent documents - DocCode, StorageDate and DateStored seems to be simple.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thank you so much for your time!
    I have drafted a Data Model for you on my Database Answers Web Site :-
    Document Tracking Data Model

Pls take a look and let me have your thoughts.

HTH

Barry in London