Question Unanswered: From an open form open a 2nd form at the same record as the 1st form was on

In the first form I list the basic data for a record. From that I use a label as a button to open close the 1st and open a 2nd form for additional addition data [supplemental to the basic data]. My problem is the 2nd form always open at the 1st record. I would like the 2nd form to open at the record that was open the 1st form. The 1st form closes and the additional 2nd from opens. When done entering the data in the 2nd form there is the option to return to either the 1st form or go to the Main Menu.
    Last edited by Silvera; 05-22-14 at 20:25. Reason: I still screwed up the title, found out what a Tag is too late

Provided Answers: 19
    How you do this depends on a couple of things:

Will there always be an existing matching Record in the second Form or will there be occasions when you will need to create a new matching Record?

Once in the second Form, will you need to navigate to other Records, or only work on the matching Record?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I am not sure I was understood

The concern is to have the same record that is open in the 1st form the the record that is displayed in the second form. Same record with 2 separate forms to list data. No "matching" just the same database record getting data from 2 separate sources.

Provided Answers: 19
    So you're doing data entry on a single Record from two different Forms? My question would be 'why?' If it's a matter of 'real estate,' i.e. screen space, the usual approach is to use a Tabbed Control, with Controls on multiple pages.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I really thougt this would be a simple thing

It is seldom I need the second form which is why is broke it off of the initial form. I was hoping that I could use a variable I could pass forward to the next form to have it connect to the previous record. Yes it is a matter of real estate.