Unanswered: Decimal Data type.

Team,

I am working on very old codebase in 4gl. And I see that for decimal datatype. Code has consider dot (.) as place holder.

For explame:
    decimal (8,4) has max value it has consider is 123.4567 (i.e 7 digit and 1 for dot charater.)

So want to knew if there was any such limition with old IDS version(version before V7)

Thanks.

Unhappy Decimal Data type.

Hi Team,

I am working very old 4gl codebase. The way code is handle decimal datatype is raising question..
    For example if we have table column with decimal(8,3) the max value it could is 7 digit and 1 dot character.

(decimal(8,3) =9999.999)

So what to know if old informix version has any such limition. Do older version of DB has this limition. AS with version 11 we could hold 8 digit and 1 dot character. (99999.999)

Thank you in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

can you be more specific and say what very old version means for you exactly.
    Do you mean Informix 4.0, Informix 4GL 1.X, Informix 3.30 ?

As far as I remember those "old" version (> Informix 4GL 2.X) could contain up to 16 digits or 15 digits and one '.'.

As of "today", the maximum is 32 digits. And certainly not 8 digits as you say. Unless it was the very first Informix version, which I did not use ( 3.30 ), I could not say what the limit was.

When we declare a column of decimal data type with a precision (3,1), the max field length which INFORMIX allows is 4 (including period), 1 digit on right of period and 2 digits on left of period.

In earlier versions of INFORMIX (pre 7) , the period was included in total field length which means if we declare a column of decimal type with a precision (3,1), the max field length which INFORMIX allows is 3 (including period), 1 digit on right of period and 1 digits on left of period.

Decimal declaration Earlier version (max) newer version IDS(max)
    decimal (3,1) 1.2 12.3

Remarks : Earlier version may used to include "period" in total length and post 7 excludes “period” from total length.

So I think that there was different in the waydecimal data type handle period character in earlier version. However I am not sure about it. So could some one put som light on it.

Or let me know if my understanding correct or not?