Unanswered: DB2 Upgrading to new version and licence

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to forum and to IBM DB2 aswell. DB2 v9.1 (under MS Windows)

My question is, do I have to upgrade licence when I want to upgrade database engine from 9.1 to 9.7 or from 9.1 to 10.X?

What about the backward compatibility between versions of v9 and v10.

Another one question is about the general DB2 versioning.
    F.e. 9.1 and 9.2 are two different releases like MS SQL 2008 and MS SQL 2008R2 or rather like MS SQL 2008 and MS SQL 2008 SP1 by the view from licensing and by differences/backward compatibility side.

Provided Answers: 11
    the license is version-release dependent
    but if licensed, you can get a new license from higher release (and maybe version)
    most of the time there is backward compatibility.
    that is why some all commands are still present, but not maintained anymore..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by -=RapidHail=- View Post
    My question is, do I have to upgrade licence when I want to upgrade database engine from 9.1 to 9.7 or from 9.1 to 10.X?
    Yes. If you pay for support, then this new license is available for you from the IBM's site.
    What about the backward compatibility between versions of v9 and v10.
    You should look at the topic in the corresponding DB2 Information Center like this:
    DB2 server behavior changes. Usually you should look at "Deprecated" and "Discontinued" functionality in addition to "Changes to existing ..." topics.
    "Deprecated" means that you shouldn't use such functionality because it will likely be removed in a future version.
    "Discontinued" means that such functionality was withdrawn and isn't used anymore.
    Another one question is about the general DB2 versioning.
    F.e. 9.1 and 9.2 are two different releases like MS SQL 2008 and MS SQL 2008R2 or rather like MS SQL 2008 and MS SQL 2008 SP1 by the view from licensing and by differences/backward compatibility side.
    There is not such DB2 version (release): 9.2.
    2 first numbers determine a DB2 version. So, 9.1, 9.5, 9.7, 9.8, 10.1, 10.5 are distinct DB2 versions.
    DB2 Fix Pack (FP) has the same meaning as SP in MS SQL.
    So, the equivalent of MS SQL 2008 and MS SQL 2008 SP1 is
    DB2 10.1 GA (General Availability) and DB2 10.1 FP1
    Regards,
    Mark.