Unanswered: is "catalog dcs"... still required to connect to mainframe?

This is old knowledge. Was valid for DB2 V7 and still valid today:
    to connect to a mainframe or AS/400 db2 you code:
    Code:
    catalog  tcpip node thisNod  remote 192.168.1.1 server 3270 ostype os390 ;  
    catalog   db thisDB at node thisNod authentication dcs_encrypt           ; 
    catalog  dcs dbthisDB as LongMVSDBname parms ',,INTERRUPT_ENABLED,,,'            ; 
    catalog system odbc data source thisDB
    Common knowledge right? We need the "DCS" part to couple our db name of 8 positions to the mainframe database name which can be a longer string and this parms bit contains vital info the the mainframe.

In this century we got a new way to configure the client. Using the db2cli command. I did not manage to configure a mainframe connection using the new syntax because there is no way to code the "DCS" line and I wrote an angry blog about this: DB2twilight: Another look at the DB2 client

But.... JDBC-type4 can connect to the mainframe without this DCS part, just code the long mainframeDBname in the connect string. Makes me wonder: do we still need this "catalog DCS" line? Can I create a connection without it?
    Could that be the way to use the new syntax and cope with the light (33Mb) client to make an ODBC connection to a mainframe?

I do not have a test config right now to test this. Anyone here have any experience?? I know that there are mainframe colleagues on this forum as well.
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Provided Answers: 11
    I still use it by habit.. but I believe it is not mandatory anymore
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Provided Answers: 18
    If your application uses the type-4 jdbc driver (as supplied with the run time client) then the answer is no. (But you still need the *ciusz*.jar from a licensed db2-connect to make it legal). You don't need to catalog any more when using the type-4 driver, though you might need to catalog for other types of applications (non-java , or non-type-4 capable).

Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    If your application uses the type-4 jdbc driver (as supplied with the run time client) then the answer is no. (But you still need the *ciusz*.jar from a licensed db2-connect to make it legal). You don't need to catalog any more when using the type-4 driver, though you might need to catalog for other types of applications (non-java , or non-type-4 capable).
    Yes, I know. This about the CLI/ODBC connects. Last time I talked to someone of IBM/DB2 sales he was surprised that we still use db2-connect. Nowadays every db2-client can connect directly to the mainframe (provided you've got the license installed). I tried and it works. My only concern is the the lack of information about the requirements....

On this forum we've got LUW & MVS DBA's so I hope to solve the mystery here because the new db2cli-syntax is much more easy to script for my wintel colleagues and perhaps the 33Mb client version might be sufficient.
    If I get this all clear I want to propose to start to decommission a lot of connect-instances/relics over here at my client's site.

Yes yes I know:
    MVS a.k.a. OS/390
    OS/390 a.k.a. z/OS, but everyone knows MVS, right
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Provided Answers: 11
    correct - db2 connect should not be installed = optional , but the license for db2-connect is still needed to connect to mvs and I/series (in 10.5 no connect pers.edition anymore)
    so : if applications run from different machines, a license is needed on each machine, in that case db2 connect as gateway could be cheaper
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be