Exclamation Unanswered: Help! In-house program and can't access code

I've been hired on by my company to assist in their database issues. I am a DBA but the in-house program they've had written for them is far above my level of expertise. They've decided they want to go with one of two options, fix the coding problem that won't let them create a PDF or upgrade the system (currently 2003 Access platform, BACCO user interface) to Access 2010 platform. Essentially what I'm able to see is that BACCO is basically a GUI or Macros for Access. Problem is, I can't find a way to get into the code so I can fix the PDF problem. I've tried all programs that would logically work around a coding problem, ex: Win2PDF, with no luck. The records are currently backed up to an SQL Server however, the files that are backed up are ones that were recovered from a crash in August 2013. Not all files were recovered and some that were recovered aren't complete. I understand that part of the 'coding problem' could be just that the file path has been lost since the crash but, there again, I can't seem to get into the source code to even start to fix it. So since I am hitting a dead end there, I've started researching options to just do the upgrade. So here lies my question, if the owner is able to find an old 'blank' copy of BACCO, I bring that into Access 2012, and import the records, is it possible that the coding error would still exist? And furthermore, would that even be the route I would need to take to upgrade the system to 2010?
    This is a small company, only 10-15 employees. Running off an old Windows 2000 server, which will be upgraded as soon as the Access issue is addressed. Currently running off a router with static IP only, this issue is also in the process of being fixed.
    I know this is a lot of information and it seems like a lot of issues but, I am just needing some guidance as to what the best course of action would be.
    * I have attached screenshots of the opening screen and add new record feature for reference *
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BACCO Screen 1.png   BACCO Screen 2.png  

Provided Answers: 59
    on the face of it BACCO is the Access application
    search ion your file systemj for the files
    I'd expect their to be pairs
    1 pair for live, 1 pair for development
    each pair should comprise
    a front end (the user interface, forms & reports)
    a back end (the data)

Access suports variosu file formats MDB/MDE and ACCDB/ ACCDE
    the B suffix (MDB/ACCDB) is an open Acces file, the E suffix indicates an encrypted file

by the sound of it what you have is a split system, but instead of using an Access file the data is stored in SQL server

An Access front end is the MD?/ADD? file. if you have been unlucky then the file may have got corrupted but there should not be missing files.

If you have been really unlucky the previous developer may have played cute little games and hiddent he ?B files and left ?E (encrypted) files. in which case you are stuffed with a capital F

so go looking for files.. you want the MDB files for Access 2003

it maybe that the code is in the BACCO fiel, you may need to by pass a start up screen to find it

its possibel the code is there but is protected by allocating it to a user or user group.

right now I'd sasy you don't have a coding problem, until such time as you've located the code and understand what it. but you may not even need to change any code, assumignyou can install a PDF writer as a printer.

you can save reports in more modern version of Access as a PDF.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    on the face of it BACCO is the Access application
    search ion your file systemj for the files
    I'd expect their to be pairs
    1 pair for live, 1 pair for development
    each pair should comprise
    a front end (the user interface, forms & reports)
    a back end (the data)

Access suports variosu file formats MDB/MDE and ACCDB/ ACCDE
    the B suffix (MDB/ACCDB) is an open Acces file, the E suffix indicates an encrypted file

by the sound of it what you have is a split system, but instead of using an Access file the data is stored in SQL server

An Access front end is the MD?/ADD? file. if you have been unlucky then the file may have got corrupted but there should not be missing files.

If you have been really unlucky the previous developer may have played cute little games and hiddent he ?B files and left ?E (encrypted) files. in which case you are stuffed with a capital F

so go looking for files.. you want the MDB files for Access 2003

it maybe that the code is in the BACCO fiel, you may need to by pass a start up screen to find it

its possibel the code is there but is protected by allocating it to a user or user group.

right now I'd sasy you don't have a coding problem, until such time as you've located the code and understand what it. but you may not even need to change any code, assumignyou can install a PDF writer as a printer.

you can save reports in more modern version of Access as a PDF.
    OK, I finally got around the start up sequence and into the code. Took me hours but I determined that the error is in the code written for the Submit button which tells it to print to PDF. Have Win2PDF set as the writer and I'm able to see that it makes it past the loop to write to Win2PDF. Now the error is stating that File Already Exists. Which it doesn't. So now I'm lost again.
    I'm going to attach a copy of the code I'm looking at. The debugger states that the problem in the Private Function fsoCreateNewFolder
    I have no idea what this function is even supposed to do, any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 59
    judging by the name it creates a new directory/folder for the specified path
    ..as your supplied codes says
    Code:
    'we gotta make a folder first
        fsoCreateNewFolder CurrentProject.Path & "\Support\" & strName
    reasons for failure could be
    ...it already exists
    ...the supplied name is invalid

so when it faisl check the values of strname in the fucntion call
    AND check the values int he function itself.

when the code breaks you can examine variables (and set values using the immediate window
    ?strname

?strfolder

...heck you can actually set values and then re run the code by placing the cursor at the line you want to run then press F8 to step through
    eg:-
    strfolder = "c:\path\

if you are trying to work out what the code does then examine each line
    if you see a function call then right click over the fucntion and select go to definition.

so check the folders/directories specified int he code (ie what the c ode is actually trying to does already exist

OK so waht else coudl be going on
    well Access has a nasty habit of getrtign its knickers in a twist
    check your code compiles (in a code window tool | compile)
    it may be there is some residual corruption of the db. so consider Compact & Repair to reduce bloat, rebuild indexes. BUT do it on a copy of the DB. if its ok then overwrite the original file(s) with the compacted file(s)
    is the db split (ie data in one mdb/mde/accdb/accde, the user interface (forms, reports etc) in another
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton