Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Ok, another n00b question, if y'all don't mind

I got this fairly nicely designed BDB working, makes all the right API calls, etc.

HOWEVER, when I designed it, I put in certain mandatory fields, so that now, if I am entering information, and let's say the customer changed their mind, and doesn't want a pickup made, once i start a new record, I have to finish it or it won't let me out of the record.

And the only way out is to kill the DB in Task Manager. Ain't there a cancel input feature somewhere?

Thanks

Larry

Provided Answers: 1
    maybe i did not understand, but just make the fields not mandotory and that is it... isnt it?

(if not could you explain the problem in simpler workds)

the problem is that your customer has the database compiled ?
    and you cant change the db?

fer

Cool

Well, YEAH, but knowing the peeps I works with, if these fields are not mandatory, they WILL forget to fill them in...simple little things like WHERE THE HELL AM I SENDING MY TRUCKS TO?

Quote Originally Posted by ferslash View Post
    the problem is that your customer has the database compiled ?
    and you cant change the db?

fer
    No, I CAN change it, but if I eliminate those mandatory fields, I can guarantee you, they will forget to put either the pickup or delivery location when they enter the data. I am just trying to find a way, that if, during the order process, the customer backs out, we can cancel adding the record without filling it out entirely.

Larry

You may be able to script a cancel button to delete the current record but whether that would work without the mandatory fields being completed I'm not sure. Would need some testing. There's no cancel option as the record exists as soon as you create it.

What you could do if you can't script a record delete without the mandatory field being complete is to have the script first fill the mandatory fields with bogus data and then delete the record.

Provided Answers: 2
    Hello Larry
    Instead of system validation have you tried form confirmation event? When leaving record BD can check if field(s) are not valid to your spec's or carry out any other action. By adding check box or button you could overide ( with user input password if needed).
    Just a thought
    David

what i do is a little cumbersom... but it works for me, and makes your sistem "fancier"

1. create a new form, that will work only as a "capture information" form, it wond store any info.

in this form, you enter the information that you want to store in the folder that has the "truck destination info" and etc.

2. use validation rules, (edition and validation properties) of the buttons and fields inside your capture info form, so if you did not capture a field, then you can not capture the next one, because it has a edit property rule that sais, if truck destination is ="" (empty) then you cant edit the next field.

3. at the end of the form, place a "save "button, the button has 2 characteritics.

a) it has editing propertie rules, that only allow you to press the botton if you have all the fields captured.

b) it has an script that do this:

- store all the fields into local variables, lets says it stores the truck number field, into the variable var-truck-num, and the field truck destination, into the variable var-destination an so on... (this could be long)

- creates a new record (check the options, "not related" and also, "just create the record", and also in the creating record dialog, store the new created record to the recordset local variable "new-record"

- in the script create a loop cycle of the type: "for each record of the record set", like this

for each recod from [$new-record]
    change field value of the field "truck destination" in the folder that stores the information, with the variable=$[var-truck-destination]
    next item.

- then send a message to the user saying ("the job was made well")

- include an instruction "close the window"

so.... when you have all this made... you can call the capture form from an scrip that do this:

add a variable, from user imput/ set vars by form/ set and "x" prexif for the variables/ an finally select the "capturing form"

and in this way you have all the countrol of your form...

it is more dificult to explain and to read than it is to do it...

i have all my forms in this way... doing this, you also can get away the "brilliant" feeling of your app, and make it feel the way you want.

best regards

fer from mexico

Hi again
    Just some more thoughts on this validation theme. If you can "lock down" the entry form with no menus, folder lists or buttons that allow the user to move away from form unless all fields are correct. The visibility rules can be used to make navigation possible only under certain conditions.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by tamcind; 06-04-14 at 01:33.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ferslash View Post
    what i do is a little cumbersom... but it works for me, and makes your sistem "fancier"

1. create a new form, that will work only as a "capture information" form, it wond store any info.

in this form, you enter the information that you want to store in the folder that has the "truck destination info" and etc.

2. use validation rules, (edition and validation properties) of the buttons and fields inside your capture info form, so if you did not capture a field, then you can not capture the next one, because it has a edit property rule that sais, if truck destination is ="" (empty) then you cant edit the next field.

3. at the end of the form, place a "save "button, the button has 2 characteritics.

a) it has editing propertie rules, that only allow you to press the botton if you have all the fields captured.

b) it has an script that do this:

- store all the fields into local variables, lets says it stores the truck number field, into the variable var-truck-num, and the field truck destination, into the variable var-destination an so on... (this could be long)

- creates a new record (check the options, "not related" and also, "just create the record", and also in the creating record dialog, store the new created record to the recordset local variable "new-record"

- in the script create a loop cycle of the type: "for each record of the record set", like this

for each recod from [$new-record]
    change field value of the field "truck destination" in the folder that stores the information, with the variable=$[var-truck-destination]
    next item.

- then send a message to the user saying ("the job was made well")

- include an instruction "close the window"

so.... when you have all this made... you can call the capture form from an scrip that do this:

add a variable, from user imput/ set vars by form/ set and "x" prexif for the variables/ an finally select the "capturing form"

and in this way you have all the countrol of your form...

it is more dificult to explain and to read than it is to do it...

i have all my forms in this way... doing this, you also can get away the "brilliant" feeling of your app, and make it feel the way you want.

best regards

fer from mexico
    Thanks Fer

Ya wouldn't happen to have an example you would care to share would ya?

Cheers

Larry

Hi Larry,

I am not sure if I understand your needs, but the administrator or the owner can always delete records even if the database is shared in a network. One simple solution is to add a confirm checkbox in the order form

Thanks

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 06-06-14 at 02:43.

Attached is another alternative solution. Log-in as Guest.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mcmichael; 06-06-14 at 04:36.

Here is a minor update of the attached file.
    Last edited by mcmichael; 06-06-14 at 06:49.

Hello
    A little experiment with BD V10.54 and validating entry of data. Not bullet proof as just trying ideas but general idea is to lock down user with no menus or tool bars and only buttons to navigate (no options untill all required "red" fields are not blank in this example). There are many ways to go about this including a custom toolbar - you can add if else actions to any toolbar button to disable and/or show message etc.
    To open in admin' use pw "admin". No pw guests.
    Don't forget you can make good use of copy paste in script/rule editors to save a lot of typing, there is potentially a lot of common instructions in form requirements.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by tamcind; 06-06-14 at 23:22.