Red face Unanswered: Ms Access duplicate column across detail

Hi
    I have a form with a Detail section that has a column that lists all the Counties in the UK ( 158 of them). I use this as a lookup for address purposes. I would like to duplicate this column across the detail section each with a different County, in order to compact the information and save space. Does anyone know if this is possible( I can't see why it shouldn't be) and if so how please?

Many thanks - Piscator

Provided Answers: 19
    I'm going to make a wild guess, here, and say that the reason that 40+ members have looked at your post, and not responded, is that, like myself, they have no idea what you mean by
    ...I would like to duplicate this column across the detail section each with a different County...
    Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Unhappy

Basically, I have a form with 1 column that lists 158 UK Counties, so I have 158 rows. I would like to have 3 columns and 52 rows of three columns an one last row with 2 columns. How can I achieve this?

Provided Answers: 19
    You don't! That's a gross violation of the normalization principle of databases!

Why in the world would you want to?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

This is simply a display option. I have ONE column that I have I want to DISPLAY across the detail section of the form in 3 DISPLAY columns, fields call them what you like. As is done simply in a report by grouping!!

Provided Answers: 59
    ?
    still not clear what you are trying to achieve...
    dont' understand why you'd want to do this in a form... 158 rows from the same table on a single form, irrespective of how many columns is a 'peculiar design.
    usually Id expect this sort of data to be in a combo box.

pehgaps you could reiterate your design requirement, in Engliush. ie i want to achieve.... as opposed tot he technical implementation
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I have had so much misunderstanding over this that I have resolved to abandon it. I do have a combo box that is used to select the county that is required in the address. However, I have to set this table up initially before it can be used. Since the table will only ever be set up once, I suppose it doesn't matter if the table just simply has only one column displayed because after the data is entered, it will only ever be referenced by a drop down combo box. I just thought that when I was setting up the table (for aesthetic reasons) I could make it more presentable! No big deal

Provided Answers: 14
    If it has not one already, add a numeric (long) column: [Id] to the table. Place 3 combos on the form and use 3 queries as the rowsource property of each:
    Combo1:
    Code:
    SELECT CountyName FROM Tbl_Counties WHERE ID < 54;
    Combo2:
    Code:
    SELECT CountyName FROM Tbl_Counties WHERE ID Between 54 AND 106;
    Combo3:
    Code:
    SELECT CountyName FROM Tbl_Counties WHERE ID > 106;
    Have a nice day!

Brilliant - many thanks for that. Excellent

Provided Answers: 14
    You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 2
    There's also the Columns option within Report design.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.