Unanswered: Report generates ID instead of field name

I have 3 dynamic combo box. a combo box > filters b combo box and b filters c combo box. showing the field names whereas connected on field ID's. But my problem is when I am running reports (reports in form of charts) on the data saved in the backend through these combo boxes on the form. When I run report it shows ID's of combo box B instead of field name. Please help

Provided Answers: 59
    so either JOIN these tables in the query in the report
    or
    use DLookup (although for performance reasons Id be very wary of using dlookup in a report if the lookup is performed frequently
    or
    use a recordset within the report to retrieve the correct value
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

SELECT qryStartificationOfRootCause.txtRootCause, Sum(qryStartificationOfRootCause.CountOftxtRootCau se) AS SumOfCountOftxtRootCause
    FROM qryStartificationOfRootCause
    GROUP BY qryStartificationOfRootCause.txtRootCause
    ORDER BY Sum(qryStartificationOfRootCause.CountOftxtRootCau se) DESC;

This is my query in report what kind record set can be used for retrieving the correct value in report

or how should I use dlookup for getting value

dont use dlookup, unless you have to......
    not knowing your table design its hard to say

see:- The Tom Kyte Blog: How to ask questions
    http://www.dbforums.com/6611305-post10.html

I am attaching table design please let me know if you need something more
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok so which column as the integer (numeric value) that is causing the proble

which table has the descriptor

..Im guessign you are going to reposnd by saying you've used the lookup wizard, which frankly is a really, really crappy idea from Microsoft. create a sepaparte table with the index and descriptor

eg:-
    mylookuptable
    ID integer, PK
    description text(50)

then you change the table design to store the integer value
    defien a refererential integrity (RI) realtionship between the table and the looklup table.

then when you open the query add the new table, the link shoudl appear and pull the description as required

I have done in the same way as you have mentioned however query on which my report runs is not joined with anything so i am confused on which table to join it to get Field name instead of ID

SELECT tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause, Count(tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause) AS CountOftxtRootCause
    FROM tblMainTWTTPSheet
    WHERE (((tblMainTWTTPSheet.date) Between [Forms]![frmStratificationOfRootCauses]![startDate] And [Forms]![frmStratificationOfRootCauses]![endDate]))
    GROUP BY tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause
    HAVING (((tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause) Is Not Null) AND ((Count(tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause)) Is Not Null));

Thanks for your help and patience

well if you are confused, then there is absolutely no chance Im going to be able to do any better

what column has the integer value that you are expecting to see as a text value?
    what table are those values stored in?

I know I am disgusting but thanks for your patience

ok here are my details

Table 1 = RootCause which has ID and Text field
    Table 2 = Countermeasure has ID and Text field
    Table 3 is Lookuptable as you mentioned which has its own ID and contains rootcause ID and Countermeasure ID.
    Thats how my dynamic combo boxes work

now I created a query on my main table saving data from main form which is
    SELECT tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause, Count(tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause) AS CountOftxtRootCause
    FROM tblMainTWTTPSheet
    WHERE (((tblMainTWTTPSheet.date) Between [Forms]![frmStratificationOfRootCauses]![startDate] And [Forms]![frmStratificationOfRootCauses]![endDate]))
    HAVING (((tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause) Is Not Null) AND ((Count(tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause)) Is Not Null));

I also tried what you mention here

create a sepaparte table with the index and descriptor

eg:-
    mylookuptable tHIS IS MY (Rootcause-cOUNTERMEAURE tABLE WHICH HAS ID and text for Root Cause and Countermeasure )
    ID integer, PK

description text(50)

then you change the table design to store the integer value (I changed in Root Cause and Countermeasure to display ID's instead of text previously)

defien a refererential integrity (RI) realtionship between the table (Which table are you referring here to) and the looklup table.

then when you open the query (Query is the one I mentioned above) add the new table, the link shoudl appear and pull the description as required

sorry that is way to complicated to describe
    Id suggest you clean your db of any sensitive intformation, then compact and repair the Access db, compress it into a zip ffile and post it here as an attachment

I don't have a clue what what column is the the one that is reporting an integer as opposed to a text value

Ok Let me try once more

Table 1 = RootCause which has ID and Text field
    Table 2 = Countermeasure has ID and Text field
    Table 3 is Lookuptable which has its own ID and contains rootcause ID and Countermeasure ID.
    Thats how my dynamic combo boxes work

now I created a query on my main table saving data from main form which is
    FROM tblMainTWTTPSheet

Properties of root cause is bound column 1
    countermeasure Bound column 2 in main form

Root Cause Bound column 1
    Countermeasure Bound Column 2

but when I am running report over this query its giving out ID not field names

Please have a look over the screen shots of my database
    Attached Files Attached Files

this is way too confusing for me.....

what you need to do is use a join to pull the decription from the relevant table(s) using the parent/child key relationship

looking at your screen shot it looks to me as if you may not have defined relationships, ideally as Access is a RELATIONAL db you should define relationships between tables AND enforce RI (referential integrity)

what you are looking for in your query is somethign like

Code:
    select t2.descriptor,  Count(tblMainTWTTPSheet.txtRootCause) AS CountOftxtRootCause
    from tblMainTWTTPSheet
    left join mylookuptable as t2 on tblMainTWTTPSheet.foreignkey = t2.primarykey
    GROUP BY t2.descriptor
    repalce mylookuptable with the name of your other table
    foreignkey with the name if the integer column that is the foreign key in the main table that 'points' to the primary key in the lookup table
    primarykey with the name of the integer column that is the primary key in the lookup table
    descriptior with the name of the description in the lookup table for the primary key.

I can't make out (or possibly willfuly won't make out) from your table design which is which
    Last edited by healdem; 06-11-14 at 06:14.