Unanswered: DB2 For the MSSQL DBA

Hello All,

Can any one recommend any good books for converting a vast amount of Microsoft SQL Server DBA knowledge into the basics of DB2 DBA?

HEY HEY MY MY

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't know of any materials specifically for SQL Server professionals, but there are some for Oracle pros:

IBM developerWorks : IBM DB2 Webcast Series for Oracle Professionals
    DB2 fundamentals for Oracle professionals: Introduction to DB2

may be these can help. And a book:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c...B2%20Express-C
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Provided Answers: 54
    A lot depends on what you want/need to learn and which DB2 you plan to use.

DB2 UDB (the product for Linux and Windows) is pretty close to the ANSI/ISO SQL Language standard circa 2003. DB2 zOS is actually ahead of the proposed ANSI/ISO SQL Language standards that I have seen. This makes a considerable difference to the developer and the user, and some differences to the DBA.

The "care and feeding" that is required to meld the database with the Operating System and to keep both happy and healthy is quite different on all three platforms (zOS, Linux, and Windows). I don't know of any book that addresses even the three platforms well, much less compares their behaviors to other database engines on other platforms. If you find one, I'd like to hear about it!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.