Unanswered: MYSQL or SQL Server???

I will quickly outgrow Access 2010 capacity and need to move to either SQL Server or MYSQL. Which is advisable considering ease of use and continuing with the Access Front-end forms and reports? MYSQL appears to be a logical solution and without having to invest in SQL Server (??) - Thanks - dd

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    ... MYSQL appears to be a logical solution
    I don't see why MYSQL would be a more logical solution than SQL Server. It depends on several factors (number of users, size of the databases, required level of security, etc.).

If its a question of costs, there are free versions of SQL Server that still offer a richer set of functionalities than what's available in MySQL.

See: Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express from Official Microsoft Download Center, Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2014 and What are the Limitations of SQL Server Express Edition ? | SQL Zone
    Have a nice day!

Only 5 user and approx 25000 records amongst 4 tables. I saw that Server Express is free but probably not large enough capapcity. There is a Free SQL Server available - not a trial version?

From: Sql Server tutorials: Limitations of SQL Server Express
    Most of the limitations of SQL Server Express edition will not affect the small/medium scale applications.

Limitations of SQL Server Express Edition

1. Number of CPUs supported
    SQL Server Express uses only one CPU at a time. It can be installed on a server with multiple CPUs, but it will use only one CPU at a time.

2. Maximum memory used
    SQL Server Express uses a maximum of 1 GB memory for it's data buffer. So, if your server has severaql GB memeory, SQL Server Express cannot take advantage of it.

4. Database size limit
    Maximum database size is limited to 4 GB (log file size is not counted)

5. Profiler in SQL Server Express
    Profiler tool is not included with SQL Server Express editions.

6. Job Scheduler
    Job Scheduling service is not available with SQL Server Express.

7. Import/Export
    Data import and export feature is not available with SQL Server Express.

You should not have any problem with 5 users and 4 tables, even large ones. And it is a free version, not a trial.
    Have a nice day!

Data updating?

Using SQL Express to learn and test with. The table listing in the Access database window shows the tables (as SSMA$[TableName]$local) and the sql links (Arrow, blue circle and table name). The SQL link when opened shows updated data - the Access table doesn't (SSMA$......). Seems both would show updates. Is something amiss? Thanks- -David

I'm sorry but I dont know what you're talking about. When you create an attached table linked to a SQL Server table, by default the name of that table is composed of the name of the schema (by default: "dbo_") followed by the name of the table in the server database. e.g. If you have a table on the server named "Tbl_Sales", the linked table in Access will be named "dbo_Tbl_Sales", unless you created the table "Tbl_Sales" under a different schema than "dbo" (= "database owner", which is the default schema for a database on a SQL Server).

At least it was so up to SQL Server 2008 and Access 14 (Office 2010)... Which version of Access and of SQL Server do you use?
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    4 users and 25,000 rows in 4 tables is well under the problem areas in plain vanilla access.
    15..30 users is roughly where the problems start to occur. If yoy had multi million rows or db size appriaching 2..4gb....That doesnt mean you have to yse vanilla access under those limits..
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton