Cool Fastest.........

What is the fastest open-source database software for a company that provide Network appliances for their customers like banks, insurance companies and textile firms which handle millions of daily information. I want to get a monthly report/ log of those daily data and MySQL is very slow for the purpose according to our current experience. What would be the best opensource solution for this ?

I doubt you will see that much difference between various server offerings, assuming that they are running on the identical hardware, with identical network infrastructure. IE if the server is limited by memory, cpu or network, then switching to another server is unlikely to make a significant difference. MySQL is supposed to be pretty fast, if not the fastest when comparing like for like.
    reasons for your app running slow could be:-
    hardware limits (not enough db server memory, cpu(s) limited, disk issues, netwrok issues
    the server isn't configured for the amount of data or the frequency fo requests
    or, of course it could just be down to your physical design:-
    how the tables are designed, index stratgeies
    have you used EXPLAIN or DESCRIBE to understand what the query planner is doing with your queries
    have you examined the slow query log to identify what queries are taking the time
    have you tried to identify what the problem is specifcally, rather than a general 'the app seems slow' have you identified why its slow, or where the time is lost. have you profiled your code, do you know where the time is being consumed. is it an application fault (ie opening/shutting connections uneccesary, not using pooled connections

the reality is there are not that many open source DB's out there. As far as Im aware there is no stand out FASTER db than MySQL, they are are much of a muchness

before reaching is desparation for a new server it will pay to work out what is wrong with the current setup

if you dont control the current server you may need to check with the people who do and get them to help identify if its a hardware issue. if so it may be that you need to spend more on hardware
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    I doubt you will see that much difference between various server offerings, assuming that they are running on the identical hardware, with identical network infrastructure. IE if the server is limited by memory, cpu or network, then switching to another server is unlikely to make a significant difference. MySQL is supposed to be pretty fast, if not the fastest when comparing like for like.
    reasons for your app running slow could be:-
    hardware limits (not enough db server memory, cpu(s) limited, disk issues, netwrok issues
    the server isn't configured for the amount of data or the frequency fo requests
    or, of course it could just be down to your physical design:-
    how the tables are designed, index stratgeies
    have you used EXPLAIN or DESCRIBE to understand what the query planner is doing with your queries
    have you examined the slow query log to identify what queries are taking the time
    have you tried to identify what the problem is specifcally, rather than a general 'the app seems slow' have you identified why its slow, or where the time is lost. have you profiled your code, do you know where the time is being consumed. is it an application fault (ie opening/shutting connections uneccesary, not using pooled connections

the reality is there are not that many open source DB's out there. As far as Im aware there is no stand out FASTER db than MySQL, they are are much of a muchness

before reaching is desparation for a new server it will pay to work out what is wrong with the current setup

if you dont control the current server you may need to check with the people who do and get them to help identify if its a hardware issue. if so it may be that you need to spend more on hardware
    Thank you very much for your reply... Please understand that we can't tell to our customers to change their hardware resources for our desired purposes. We only sell some limited network appliances and we have to run them on their premises with the resources they have.

Quote Originally Posted by geni2008 View Post
    Please understand that we can't tell to our customers to change their hardware resources for our desired purposes. We only sell some limited network appliances and we have to run them on their premises with the resources they have.
    so its even more important to understand what the problem(s) is/are. having done that you can make specific recommendations and changes to design out the problem. jumping to a new server provider is unlikely to solve things if the underlying problem is poor physical design or poor server infrastructure.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

PostgreSQL
    SQLite
    MongoDB
    Redis

What would be the fastest from above ones ? Could anyone supply a research report link about comparing those....? Please help
    Last edited by geni2008; 06-25-14 at 05:26.

By creatively constructing the test I can provide data to show that any of those databases is the fastest. Which order do you want them ranked?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

You have to define "Fastest"

Without knowing a LOT more about the application, all is subjective.

For instance,
    • Is the data mostly read-only? Transactional? Data Warehousing?
    • How many concurrent users?
    • Is data relational integrity important?
    • Is data validated at entry?

These questions, and many more, all play into the question.

From your first post, however, as the database would appear by implication to be completely a self contained database (i.e. contained within a 'network appliance') and is therefore probably running under a stripped-down version of linux with a web-based interface, you might also want to include SQLite in your research. Although a 'server' for sqlite does exist, it is primarily designed as a fast, self-contained data store using a [mostly] sql compliant language.

As I imply above, more information in your question usually results in an answer which has a better chance of being the 'correct' one...
    Last edited by loquin; 08-27-14 at 13:58.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Very slow compared to what?Do you have a benchmark? Has it always been slow or is it a recent development?
    Regardless of decisions - it's important to identify the bottlenecks.
    Is there regular maintenance applied?
    Do you supply a minimum hardware requirement details to your customers and maintenance procedures?
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com