Database Design to track research grants coming into the College

Hi, I'm a student working at my summer job which is to design and put together a database that can track research grants received by all the faculty members at my college. I'm a beginner at using MS Access.

I need help with setting up a query that can generate data based on fiscal year as well as calendar year. However, the grants are covering a period of time (1, 2 years) not a one time transaction. When I used the Date/time function in Access I can't get the result I'm looking to generate. For instance, the fiscal year is from 7/1/2013 to 6/30/2014, but if I have a grant that started in March of 2013 and does not end until Nov of next year, how would I capture that value?

What is the best way to define the range of dates? Right now for the fields of the Grants table, I have included the "start date" and "end date", but maybe I need more than just the start and end date to generate the queries I want?

MS Access SQL is different than other forms of SQL.

Repost your question in the MS Access subforum, and include your table schemas, some sample data, and expected output.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman "sqlblindman"