Unanswered: Help for a brand new beginner in mySQL

Hello guys!

I try to open a new connection in mySQL workbench and I get an error message. I watched some tutorials and I did exactly what they showed. A printscreen is added. I just typed the information you see in printscreen and clicked "Test Connection".

What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails printscreen.png  

Provided Answers: 59
    the 'cannot connect' suggests the server is not active or not installed
    the problem is occuring before any attempt to authenticate the user so its not a permissions issue

so you are attempting to connect to eh local host on port 3306 (the default port for MySQL)
    first off check the server is actually running (use task manager, look in the services tab for the MySQL service). if it appears then the server is runnign but not visible to you

check firewall settings make certain the server can connect through the firewall (make certain port 3306 is open

after that I guess it depends entorely on how you installed your version of MySQL. on windows development system Ive always used a XAMPP install which happily sets up everything.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I looked at task manager

and what is saw is the attached image.
    The only two relevent services are:

...SQLEXPRESS... (Not Working)
    ...SQLServer... (Working)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg  

Provided Answers: 59
    so either
    you haven't installed MySQL
    OR you have installed it and its not started

what was your installation process?
    are you certain you have installed the MySQL server?

using the control panel / system and security / administrative tools / services look for the MySQL service. make certain its started and is set to automatic start

look for the Mysql installation on your disk. search for mysqld.exe using what ever technique you use for finding files (personally I still prefer using dir \mysqld.exe /s, but I am fromt he dark ages )
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks a lot!

It seems that I didn't download MySQL Server. I downloaded only the benchwork, and I thought that it was sufficient.