Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: installing SQL Server 2008 after SQL Server 2012

Hi,

We must migrate a number of MSSQL 2000 databases to MSSQL 2012. SQL2012 can not read backups from SQL2000, but SQL2008 can read SQL2000 backups and SQL2012 can read SQL2008 backups.

Our plan is to
    • take SQL2000 backups of all databases
    • restore those backups on SQL2008
    • take SQL2008 backups
    • restore those backups on SQL2012

Is this a good plan?
    Are there special parameters we should use while taking the backups or doing the restores?

We want to install a SQL2008 instance on the test server that already hosts the SQL2012 instance. Some SQL Server components are shared. Will the installation of SQL2008 jeopardise the reliability of the currently installed SQL2012 instance?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 54
    Installing a newer version of SQL Server (like 2012) on top of or beside an older version (like 2008) is supported, and almost always works cleanly... Any changes I've ever experienced have been positive.

Going backward (installing an older version over a newer version) is almost always problematic and sometimes leaves both versions unusable. If you absolutely have no other choice, try this in a development environment before you try it in production!

If I was required to do this by a client, I would first use another SQL Server to handle the conversion of the backups. If that wasn't an option, then I would:
    1. Build a fresh Windows Server (probably Windows 2012 R2
    2. Install SQL 2008
    3. Restore the SQL 2000 images of the databases
    4. Backup the databases using SQL 2008
    5. Remove the SQL 2008 instance
    6. Install SQL 2012
    7. Restore the backups made with SQL 2008
    This only adds a few steps, and it greatly reduces the chances of conflict.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 4
    Thank you Pat for your reply.

Funds are running low, excluding setting up an extra server. A few developer groups are already using the current 2012 SQL Server instance.

We'll install SQL 2008 on a laptop and go from there. Far from ideal, but I don't want to take risks. We can't afford further delays from those developer groups.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 54
    While that may be "far from ideal", I'd say that's the best option you've got available based on the description of the environment that you've posted.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.