Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: What would be your top 5 wishes

Hi guys.
    I'm curious, what features would you like to see added to brilliant database. What for example would be your top 5 wish list items.

My top 5 would be....

1: I'd like to be able to compile my app to more platforms. Android / iPad in particular.

2: I'd like to be able to compile to a “Web Service”, meaning that there's no install. Any user can access the database over a standard web browser.

3: I'd like to see great advancement in allowing me to customise the appearance of the software. For example, I would like to be able to use different background images for different sheets in a forum. Resize folder icons, as well as every other icon inside the program.

4: Rather than having to depending on a third party solutions to have brilliant database communicate with RS232 / USB devices, Weighting Scales, Bar Code readers and other devices found in retail / manufacturing, I'd like for Brilliant Database to have this kind of function built in. Basically I'd like to see “WinWedge” built into brilliant database.

5: I'd like to have access to sample files that demonstrate how things like VB DLL's work, SendWin Message, and so on. The manual is impossible to understand for these features.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 1
    i dont know if the brilliant guys would see this... but..

1. compile to android or a runtime inside android to comunicate with a windows server
    2. compile to a web service

(having this... i am happy)

3. separate the database from the "structure", i am constantly afraid of loosing my job if my development file get corrupted or something

4. be able to call dlls for a secure dongle (i have never been able to call any dll)

5. that the html and vbs realli works (html cannot run any complicated javascript and vbs works only in a too basic mode)

6. have some way to clean my database of errors, for instance in a database that has 2 years of development, the send mail feature just dont work... but i can not do anything, and i wound re-write again all the code.

7. be able to copy an paste code from one application to another...

(there were 7... i hope this guys come back to develop this grate software that i really love)

fer

another one... that the edit report style button works in the compiled applications (it doesnt)

a month letter from the brilliant guys just to know that i am not working in a death platform

1.Query editor has to accept recordset vaiable for search inaddition to folder and folder variable
    2.More than one grouping in report editor is a musr
    3.Many to many field should have spot filters and sorting like record layout
    4.When query is displayed in main window spot quick filtering and sorting to be possible
    5.Need an image varibale to process images
    6.RTF field is to be improved with more tools and printing possibilities
    7.Database is slow when processing more records particularly manay to many records in a field is more
    8.Need a possibility to deliver the attachment in Drop box or Google drive and get the link to store inside the database
    9.When we want data to be collected through mail a light 'form' need to be sent through mail.Upon receiving mail straight away we can import to the database without retyping
    1o.Need a command in script designer to open the file stored in the database file field.Currently only external file can be opened
    Last edited by asokram; 07-05-14 at 07:31.

Provided Answers: 2
    1). A search command that can look for particular values and/or variables across ALL scripts. It is slow and cumbersome to try to manually look for where, for example, I used the '$new_resident' variable.

I use the trick James shared for searching VERY frequently (in the script designer select 'Script', 'Export script to HTML...' and then use the 'Ctrl+F' key' to type in what value/variables are to be searched). However, I may need to see ALL instances where a particular query is used within the entire project ('Execute Query') and I have to look through many different scripts individually - having a search feature that gave the choice of the selected script or all scripts would be grand!
    Daryl G

1. Additional Database (MySQL, Postgres, SQLITE, MsSQL, etc.). Some of my customers went away because of this requirement.
    2. Separation of database file and program file. Customers are asking for.
    3. Linux Version. Some customers moved to Linux.
    4. MORE COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lostdb View Post
    1. Additional Database (MySQL, Postgres, SQLITE, MsSQL, etc.). Some of my customers went away because of this requirement.
    2. Separation of database file and program file. Customers are asking for.
    3. Linux Version. Some customers moved to Linux.
    4. MORE COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION!!!
    Don't see that No. 1 is ever going to happen. If it used one of those DBMS systems then it just wouldn't be Brilliant Database anymore.

Don't really understand no. 2, they are separate. You can open BD without opening a database. Of course you can't do a great deal until you open a database. But then neither can you in Access, for example.

I doubt 3 is going to happen either. BD is produced and supported by a lone developer, I presume a Windows developer. Even if he had the skills and experience he wouldn't have the time. And if he does have any time I would rather he spent it on improving the one version we do already have.

4. All for this!!

Matty

Don't see that No. 1 is ever going to happen. If it used one of those DBMS systems then it just wouldn't be Brilliant Database anymore.

Don't really understand no. 2, they are separate. You can open BD without opening a database. Of course you can't do a great deal until you open a database. But then neither can you in Access, for example.

I doubt 3 is going to happen either. BD is produced and supported by a lone developer, I presume a Windows developer. Even if he had the skills and experience he wouldn't have the time. And if he does have any time I would rather he spent it on improving the one version we do already have.

4. All for this!!
    1. me to, but "whishful thinking"
    2. currently one .bdb file has both, (a) the database itself and (b) the programmed functions, forms, queries, reports, etc. Some of my customers want to have this in two files. One file for (a) and one file for (b). They have add it to their tender. No idea why, but it looks like that a competitor to Brilliantdatabase has it.
    3. me to, but "whishful thinking"

about the linux version...

i would love to run brilliant in linux, at least, be able to run it inside crossfire or wine, wich at this point is not possible or at least not easy because a dll thing.

i really would like to have some kind of communication with mikhail and "listen" to what he needs.

may be sily, but maybe the community could some how help him in some way... we all win

a last wish... if mikhail is consider to "abandon" brilliant, i wish he considers go open source...

maybe another marketing strategy and busines plan... i mean.. if you consider brilliant database vs filemaker... i declare brilliant a winer... but filemaker is for sure doing a lot of money and growing and brilliant on the other hand seans to be dying