Thread: new to access

Unanswered: new to access

hey guys,

i am pretty much new to access.. this is about a school project:

i have collected data & now have the following excel database about vehicles & equipment:
    brand type year battery spark plug wiper etc.
    X X X X X X
    ... ... ... ... ... ...

now i want to create an access database with to goal that at the end I only have to key in

brand type year

and as a result I will receive a sheet with the equipment info

any tips & ideas how to approach this???

thank you for your help

Provided Answers: 59
    start by designing the table(s)
    create an ERD
    Refine that ERD using the principles of normalisation
    then put that design into a physical design of tables with the db
    put in data
    make certain the design meets the design brief, if needs be redesign the model (if needs be from scratch)
    design the forms
    make certain the design meets the design brief, if needs be redesign the model (if needs be from scratch)
    design the forms

but first and foremost ditch the idea of using excel as a primary source of storing data, spreadsheets are a great analysis tool, they are great at manipulating data, especailly data already consolidated, but they are not very clever at storing relational data, for that you need a relational database.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    All of healdem's advice is spot on, especially vis--vis not using Excel for your original data entry, unless this was a part of your classroom assignment. Their are times, in real life, when this approach might be appropriate, such as when the database is going supersede an existing Excel app (Excel, by the way, is not a 'database') or when working in a pre-Office 2007 environment, but otherwise should not be used.

We are always happy to help with specific problems, even on school projects, but please, when posting a question, give it an appropriate, descriptive title; 'New to Access' tells members absolutely nothing about your thread/problem.

Welcome to dBforums!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

thx for your feedback & sorry for the topic title

I did some reading and i think what I want to do is to create a "dialogue box" where the user keys in e.g. "ford focus" "2014" and then receives a form with vehicle info as well as equipment info.

I am somehow still confused about "ERD". I basically have only 1 database as described above, equipment and vehicle info is always referring to the vehicle type with date.

Can I not somehow just create a filter (in form of this dialogue box) which searches all the info and displays them as described?

My goal is it to make this as simple as possible, so that the user only sees the box to key in when opening the database.

thx again.

Its honework, so you have to do the design.

but offhand I get 6 ir possibly 7 tables vehicle manufacturer, vehicle brand, vehicle model, model year, product types, products an itersection table that identides what products are used in what vehicles and or vehicle model years.
    But if you can meet the requirementd using one table crack on....

thx for your reply.

i am still confused since i am not at all familiar with access yet.
    so i create one table for each?

table 1
    brand, model, vehicle type, year, engine - since all of these belong together
    table 2
    spark plug (article number & description)
    table 3
    wiper (article number & description)
    table 4
    battery (article number & description)
    table 5
    braking (article number & description)

correct?
    what's the next step then to actually be able to get the box to key in
    e.g. brand & year

do i have to design the form now?
    or create a query?
    how does it work?

sorry i am still at the very basics...

thank you.

its your homework..
    do you own homework
    if you think a single table covers it then use a single table, don't overcomplicate things
    you know what you hae been taught, what you have been suggested you should read or learn. usually homework reflects what has been taught/advised to study as its the main way teachers/lecturers know and understand whether they have successfully taught the material.

if you like feel free to give me your school/college details, including the course + lecturer and If Ive got enough time Ill get in touch to find out what you should have been taught and adapt the design to meet that brief.

I know how I'd do the design, but ive had lots of years to refine that. I know what assumptions I'd make about what is required, Id know how to document the design process to demonstrate to the teacher that I knew what was going on.

if this is a school project then I'd be very surprised if the brief is just create an Access model, there must be some form of design and development process being taught. No matter. if you don't have a clear idea of the db design process then diving into designing forms and or reports without a solid physical table design is a waste of time and effort. Access is a tool its not an objective in its own right

thank you for your reply.

maybe I should have mentioned that this is not an IT/computer class. It's a marketing project in one of my business classes. My idea was to implement such a database as a kind of marketing communication tool. I just want to actually create the database and not only talk about the hypothetics.

That's why I was hoping for some sort of guideline, even without having a firm background in access.