Provided Answers: 1

Exclamation Unanswered: how to help the brilliant development!!!

how many of us feel that this is the simpler and greatest development way to create databases?

how many people are we registered in this forum using brilliant?

how many of us are looking for a replacement for brilliant (with no luck at all)

how many of us love brilliant that bad that are willing to do something to help brilliant...

i see this obvious facts:

* as far as we know, it seams the right now brilliant is a single guy development.

* it seams that he is not having a lot of money incomming (other way he would hired some one to give support.

* brilliant had better days... (they were renting a nice office in canada) and they were giving support.

------ the obvious thing is that Mikhail need a new bussiness plan and a little extra money to continue with this project in a decent way.

------ my first idea.

1. lets count ours selves in a list (ask pat to create a stiky post with some title like "write your name here if you are willing to help brilliant development" (to let us now how many of us are willing to help the development)

2. do some brain storming or think tank or so, to come out with ideas to propose mikhail how we could help....

- with an open source project
    - with a pay monthly subscription (little bucks to help the development)
    - maybe a "put you money where your mouth is campain (list our wishes and donate for an specific function development.
    - helphim to hire some one...

i mean this are just ideas...

and when we had some big nice ideas, everyone of us, can send the same mail 20 times to mikhail... in order to let him know that we are really willing to help him (help us) some way.

i mean no one resist to love... if one day he opens his incomming mail with 1000 mails saying man, here are some ideas and maybe some money or something, he will be for sure interested (of course respecting that he is the owner)

who is interested???

pat could you help us with a poll or something were we just can count how many people is interested in help some way brilliant?

best regards

fer

Provided Answers: 17
    He must be a clever guy to have written Brilliant Database, so it's kind of amazing really he doesn't try help himself with the obvious things.

For example an obvious one right now to me would be for Mikhail to contact Pat and ask for permission to send a bulk email out to all registered users of Brilliant Database with an invitation to come to this forum. That would go along way to solving support issues as users would help each other, and it would send a message to existing and potential customers that the software very much so alive.

So shall we suggest that to Mikhail if he's not seeing this obvious need himself? Would he even see that email?

I truly hope for a long and successful future for Mikhail and Brilliant Database. Whatever I can do to help with that, count me in.

Brilliant Database is light-years ahead of File Maker in almost every way for example, yet Filer Maker is doing a darn sight better in sales because they are doing the obvious, having online forums and so on. Surly Mikhail must realise that?

Brilliant Database 4 Ever...

Regards
    James

james, thanks for spot in this treat... unfortunately you are the only one that has commented

best regards from your mexican friend

fer

I used to work with Clipper in the DOS environment. I bought two licenses of the personal edition - one for desktop and one for laptop.

Initially I did an expenditure tracker. I have recently created an MPG tracker. I am experimenting with creating an investment and medical expense trackers.

I am slowly learning the different abilities of the program.

I am on version 9.42. I am past the free upgrade time period.

What are the advantages of going to the latest version?

Just a couple of questions I have in mind:
    - How much of us are able to use other compiler languages as lazarus, c++, c#?
    - How much could it cost to buyout Brilliantdatabase from Mikhail?
    - Is Mikhail interested to selling the sourcecode to some people for his/her own usage and not for developing a competitive product?
    - We all know Brilliantdatabase. How much could it take time and/or cost to create a competitive replacement?

Just my ideas if Mikhail will abandon his perfect software...
    Last edited by lostdb; 07-13-14 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdb View Post
    Just a couple of questions I have in mind:
    - How much of us are able to use other compiler languages as lazarus, c++, c#?
    - How much could it cost to buyout Brilliantdatabase from Mikhail?
    - Is Mikhail interested to selling the sourcecode to some people for his/her own usage and not for developing a competitive product?
    - We all know Brilliantdatabase. How much could it take time and/or cost to create a competitive replacement?

Just my ideas if Mikhail will abandon his perfect software...
    - considering that just the ultimate licence costs $1,799 i guess that buying brilliant would be a gigant amount o thf money

- i guess that the best for everyone would be if brilliant is buyed for another software developer or if some how mikhail makes a strong company arround brilliant.

- i would like to know what happened in the past i mean, there are people saying that in the past they got support...

Provided Answers: 59
    well there's nowt stopping people using, say, Java Derby, its multi platform, can be server or embedded in more robust then sqlite
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

SQLite is mutiluser aware, however thats qualified. only one user can write at anyone time, multiple concurrent reads OK. its reliant on the underlying OS to provide locking and earlier versions of Windows are not clever in that respect.

like Filemaker, Access and Open Office they are all file server db's so have that simialr exposure. Access using JET tends to start hitting the buffers anywhere between 15 and 30 concurrent users, whereas Access using a server back end can support virtually as many users as required. there used to be a limit within the workgroup files of 250 users per work workgroup segment. the fact you can deploy Access using a freely available runtime makes it competitive with BD in my books, although it wont work well on modest hardware

Apache Derby whatever its called is multi user aware, multi platform, scalable (if needs Derby is perceived as a subset of DB2, ie could be ported to DB2 with little effort, assuming the basic system design was correct.)

Derby can run on any device that can support a compatable JVM
    @healdem

The question about the underlying database is maybe 10% of the net worth of Brilliant Database. If Mikhail would agree, we could use many databases.

The important 90% of Brilliant Database is the used RAD Environement.
    It is like a "click to app" Environement. You can write (mostly with clicking elements together) some required code, but mostly can be done with a mouseclick. It is easy, simple, fast and can be used without reading a 1000 pages programmers manual.
    Speed in development is these days important. Equal if for prototyping or for developing a commercial database application.

I can code in some C++, Java and C# but if I want to develop FAST a reliable Application (if Mikhail repairs some bugs in Version 10.xx ) nothing is currently imho faster as Brilliant Database.

The time I need to create a GUI, a Report, the SQL Statements for a few tables, all the relations between the tables and the remaing algorithms - well, when I use Brilliant Database I have developed the database, sold it to customers, done the next version and told my customers that they are using an abandoned old version... ..or I have used the other languages and start selling my first application...

In other words: a replacement must be fast in development. Which database is used - not really a catch/question.

A competitor does not need to use a specific database. He need to re-create the RAD Environement to make it fast for development.

About price: I don't think it would cost a lot of money to buyout Mikhail if needed. If he would do a lot of sales he would have hired one or more people to assist him and he would have more intentions to keep the product running. Just my 2cents.

If he can not keep it alive, he should open the source to keep it alive as community version. On the other side, he can open the source and - like linux - keep the head over the development and sell the support service.

Maybe there is a simple situation: He uses an old compiler, like Visual Basic 6, and has problems to keep it running on modern systems with 64 bit and/or other OS like Windows 8.1 (sorry that I have used this Version in my message )
    Last edited by lostdb; 07-14-14 at 17:26. Reason: Typos makes the world go around