Unanswered: LOW THRESHOLD vs HIGH THRESHOLD

Experts,

I beg your pardon if I look silly asking this question, but one of my workplace expert uses terms as low threshold and high threshold.

Can some one help me understand what these terms should mean ?

To be honest I have worked in many monitoring applications never heard these terms ; so bit confused.

TIA

Provided Answers: 11
    and the context of these ?
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

DB2 Performance Monitoring

Actually the person that heard from is a Monitoring team engineer.
    Team uses Zenoss, Solarwinds, etc for system monitoring and the discussion was DB2 Database Monitoring.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by DBFinder View Post
    DB2 Performance Monitoring

Actually the person that heard from is a Monitoring team engineer.
    Team uses Zenoss, Solarwinds, etc for system monitoring and the discussion was DB2 Database Monitoring.

TIA
    Why don't you just ask the person who used those terms?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Agree with Marcus, ask the person. The context in which the terms are used are important to understand them. Also high and low are quite arbitrary. Terms like low and high can be very differently interpreted from person to person.
    But I can imagine some context like: If you have 100 rows in a table and you need to trigger something when 10% (threshold) is changed (10 rows) this can be considered a low threshold. And when for instance 90% is changed (90 of the 100) this could be considered a high threshold. All compared to 100% or 100 rows that is. But again low and high are all about the context

Thanks Baddus,

Your example is the one that my interpretation - exactly.

The person has left the team, and I did not have a very good relation with him. So I was mostly avoiding any argument with him.

One Alert on the OTRS ticketing was worded as below by him:

21876705 ] threshold of Low database overall hit ratio not met: current value 18.500000

@Marcus_A

I tried to discuss and understand his interpretation, he tried to entangle me into an argument, so I avoided to ask him again.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFinder View Post
    One Alert on the OTRS ticketing was worded as below by him:

21876705 ] threshold of Low database overall hit ratio not met: current value 18.500000.
    Sounds like the bufferpool hit ratio was 18.5% and that was below the level that triggers an alert that was set up. For bufferpool hit ratio, the higher the better. For something like CPU % utilization on the server, lower is better.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Right,

The keyword "Low" does not mean anything here. DBOHR is 100% desired and threshold is usually set at 95%.
    Last edited by DBFinder; 07-19-14 at 09:05.