Unanswered: access runtime help.

We had windows xp machines with running older ver. of office. We have since upgraded our pc to windows 7 and have the limited ver. of office. Word, excel, etc.

When we did the changeover we removed the old hard drives and put them in the new pc's as seconds drive and left all the data intact.

One program we have was written to keep track of inventory and other items. This program has some files extensions with mdb on the end.

We cannot locate the software install disks that came with the program.

When I try to run the program I get and error that says Microsoft 2002 runtime access is required. I downloaded that file and when I tried to instal it I get and error.

I would assume with is due to not having MS Access installed on the machine?

Is it possible to find an old copy of access and install it to get this program to run or would this screw up the current install of word and excel because they are newer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 59
    Access applications can be run with a copy of Access or a copy of Access runtime. If you have a copy of Access then users can make their own db's. If yoi deploy using runtime then the users are limited to what you let them. Effectively runtime is included wothin the Access package.
    IIRC up until A2007 you could buy runtime as a separate item, bu from A2007 on you can download runtime for free.

what id suggest you do, is on a computer that doesnt have Access on is install the free runtime and see if you app works. If it does rollout the runtime as required. If not you may have to
    a) modify the code base
    B) configure runtime
    C) buy a cppy of the right runtime version
    D) track down copies of the right version of Access.

on hindsight it may have made more sense to use a disk copying tool or something such as Norton Ghost to clone the disks, install the OS upgrade retaining any programs and configuration

there is a faint possibility that you may still have runtime on the old drives and you need to either move it to the old file location as per the original disk or change settings to refer to the old disk location such as chamge drive letter. However the chances of that working are slim as no doubt there will be settings in the registry. If you are feeling brave and have no other options you may be able to recreate the registry settings in the win 7 registry, but that wouldnt be a favoured option for mr
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Update to access runtime

Thanks for the reply.

The disk was just removed from the old pc and then added to the new windows 7 pc as a second drive.

I did download an access runtime file but it gave me an error. I can't remember what it was now as I am at home and at work.

We are trying find the old disk and what makes this matter worse is the company that wrote the program is out of business.

I was looking at the program and it appears all the mdb files are intact.

Provided Answers: 59
    well if the application files are MDB's then at least you have all the application logic

'all' you need to do now is find a way of running them, that means get a version of Access runtime or a version of Access itself
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Followup Question

Do you happen to know if I can install an older ver of ms access on the machine if it would cause problems?

The machine currently has windows 7 64 bit running the latest ver of word, excel on it.

I think I got a copy of office that is older than these for sure.

Can I just install access without giving me fits or missing up the current installs of the other office programs.

Provided Answers: 14
    I never tried to install one part of Office in one version and another part in another version. However I tried installing 2 full versions of Office (2003 and 2010) on a same machine, both in 32 and 64 bits (for Office 2010). I noticed the following problems:

1. Each time you start Access in another version that the one you used formerly, the Office installer starts up and reconfigures the system.

2. When switching from Acc11 (Office 2003) to Acc14 (Office 2010) or from Acc14 to Acc11, some references are not always correctly updated.

3. When using a machine with Office 2003 (32 bits) and Office 2010 (64 bits), I sometimes encountered problems with the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components).

In my opinion, this kind of mixed installation should be a last resort solution. A more interesting approach would consists in creating a virtual machine on which you install the less used version of Office (or part of) if you cannot have to physical distinct machines, while installing the current version of the Access run-time on the production machine(s)

In your case, you can install the Access 14 run-time (Office 2010) which will be able to execute the code of a former version (at least from 2000 to 2007) of an Access database or project. If you're dealing with programs from the 2013 version of Office, this could be different, I have no experience with that version.
    Have a nice day!

That worked

That worked. Although every time we run the program it says it needs to do some data base maint of some kind.