Provided Answers: 2

Question Unanswered: Another strange issue - script worked earlier but now fails... with no changes

Yesterday, I was revisiting some of my earlier scripts in my project that worked PERFECTLY earlier. For unknown reasons, upon me re-examining these functions, they did not work and the results were null??? Before anyone states otherwise, I know for a fact that the scripts worked earlier and I have not touched the scripts nor folders that are part of the scripts for the last two months. All I know is that they worked just how they were designed earlier but when I tried activating them yesterday, the answer was nothing (all blanks).

When I backtracked through the scripts, I noticed that the date fields that previously gave answers no longer did (again, I must interject that NO changes were made to any of these scripts, fields, or folders since I created and tested them). Oddly, I discovered that the dates were no longer recognized... in my scripting the date field itself was referenced but that no longer works. I had to create a variable that was 'equal to' this field and it worked again. Trust me, it worked previously with the 'If' statement referenced a particular field on the record selected but after looking at it later, it no longer functioned properly. Now, I have to reference the newly created variable with the 'If' statement in order for it to work. I am at a loss as to why it worked earlier but it fails now (I have to say it one more time that, beyond any doubt, it worked previously but no longer does with the existing scripting). I am curious if any one else has noticed such a strange anomaly???
    Daryl G

A lot of people have looked at this post but no replies??? Many of you may be thinking that some of this may be fabricated but allow me to give you another example that just now happened.

I was testing my program and cleaned up a bit of scripting (nothing major, just replacing some 'If' statements with some 'Else If's'). Upon finishing this, I exited out of Brilliant Database, copied the program that I had just exited from, and renamed the copied version with a four-character name so that I could optimize and defrag the program. I defragged this newly saved copy and ran a quick report and left it on the screen. Next, I re-opened the previous copy (again, this is exactly the same program... the earlier one was defragged/optimized while this one was not) and ran the same report. I switched between the two reports and noticed a difference in the appearance of the reports. Oddly, the Many-to-Many relational field sizing was different between the two reports. This, beyond any doubt, was not changed during my saving process. Also, an empty line is appearing in the MMR field of the one that was defragged while it is not appearing in the identical (non-defragged) version. I discovered the same thing happened to me two weeks ago, and I just deleted the freshly defragged version and went back with the original version.

This sort of instability is really causing me a great deal of concern with Brilliant Database. Am I the only one that is seeing some inconsistent and strange behavior from Brilliant Database?
    Daryl G

I am using Version 9.42.
    Never seen this before.
    Only problem is, when you store the database on a shared folder and have many attachments.

Somewhere here at the forum is my posting with the detailed information.

lostdb,
    In my case, there are no shared folders nor even a single attachment. Something is amiss with the optimization/defragging function. I am far from the 'ideal' user of Brilliant Database but I try really hard to make this work - but I have witnessed too many cases of instability and inconsistency that cause me great concern.

I suspect that with all the testing that we are doing, Mikhail could have an absolutely wonderful product... in order to do that, issues must be addressed and reciprocal communication has to be available between Brilliant Database and the end user... and... I think that this has been mentioned before (to the point of ad nauseam).
    Daryl G

@fireant911
    Which version are you using?
    I have looked at my personal error history and found the following error:

Version: 9.42
    Occurance: one time only
    Problem source: txt export
    Description: Export does not work correctly. Two fields are interchanged. Repeat of the export shows correct order of fields.

Records to export: 109
    Fields to export: 29

Folders in database: 3
    Records in Database: F1 = 903, F2 = 8061, F3 = 26

Not a problem with a script, but with an export.
    I have forgotten this problem, because it was one time only.

lostdb,
    I am using v10.5. I really like this software most of the time but I am quite worried about a piece of software that gives inconsistent/unpredictable results.
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl
    Can't really help but just as an exercise what if you tried this copy procedure couple more times. Will it corrupt file each time? Also test on another computer if possible. Might be only something that BD can answer.
    Regards
    David

David,
    I just tried it again and it looks as if everything works as it should. I have had this same thing happen on two occasions that I know of and it appeared immediately after running database optimization. I will just have to be really careful and watchful whenever I run that feature on Brilliant Database.
    Daryl G