Question Unanswered: disc dependency between instances

Hello all...

I´ve been trying to find some information about sql clustering, but i have failed to get information about this:

I have two nodes in my windows cluster, and i have 5 SQL instances running there. Now i want to make sure that all instances are running on just one node. That is, if one instance fails and wants to start on the other node, all other instances must also failover.

My idea was to use disc dependenies to achieve this, but i can just set a dependency on discs that belong to the same instance...

Any ideas or thoughts about this topic?

Best regards from a n00b :-)

Provided Answers: 11
    I am not sure why you would want to have all of the instances fail over at the same time. If a problem only affects one of the instances, it is not likely a hardware problem. Is there another reason I am not seeing? The normal flow of events would be that you find out about a failover, investigate, fix, then make the system "right" again.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I am not sure why you would want to have all of the instances fail over at the same time. If a problem only affects one of the instances, it is not likely a hardware problem. Is there another reason I am not seeing? The normal flow of events would be that you find out about a failover, investigate, fix, then make the system "right" again.
    Well, i admit it sounds strange, but in order to keep costs down, someone mentioned that only one sql-license is needed if you only have one server in a two-node-cluster keeping all the instances. But they all had to failover at the same time in order to license it this way. The hardware is well-equipped, so performance is not an issue when running all instances on just one server...

Provided Answers: 11
    Well, under SQL 2014 licensing, you need to license one server with SA (Software Assurance). Under 2012 licensing and before, you could forego the SA, but you could only failover once per 90 days or something like that.

More suggestions?

Same question as before, i did not understand that about SA licensing...