New, with noob questions!

Hi all,

Stupid questions to follow (for those of you familiar with database programs) but I'm asking if there is a program/database that can do the following :

Running a real estate company and we are not fully computerised and use a lot of paper. I wish to create a program to enter data from properties for sale (price, bedrooms, location, etc etc)
    and then have it saved (in seperate pages) in a database for viewing by the agents. It would need to be sort-viewable for whatever the agent is looking for ie 2 bedroom, has garden, price.

If properties sell, they will need to be moved to a separate database. The data would all need to be editable but not by the viewing agents.

Can anyone tell me which packages can do this?

Thanks in advance,

Modernising.

Have you considered using a package like Open Realty instead of investing the time to write your own package? Modernizing your office is a great idea, but writing the software to do that takes a huge investment (literally hundreds or more likely thousands of hours) that you can probably use better within your community.

Most of the database engines with forums here at DBForums can do what you need. The majority of them are server based, which would require you to use another development tool or programming language to actually write the program that you need to present your properties. The database engines which are workstation based are probably not suited for your needs if you need to service many agents and clients via the internet.

In either case, it would still take a huge investment in time to produce a package that could compete with the existing commercial and Open Source realtor packages. You could easily get a web site and hosting for under $100 and installation of an existing package for under $1000, which would be really cheap compared to doing the whole job yourself.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks Pat, thats definately worth considering. I was hoping there may already be a software package available to suit my needs, MS Access etc etc, but am unfamiliar with the available packages.

My thought was that you're likely to have at least a few agents and somewhere between dozens and thousands of clients. When you are looking at those kinds of populations, a website becomes FAR cheaper than buying and installing software packages.

There is a lot to be said for "roll your own" because that will give you exactly what you (and presumably your sales people and customers) want. It also serves to differentiate your business from its competitors. However, there is a hefty price tag associated with that kind of custom solution!

At least at this stage of the game, I think that a stock, web site based package is likely to be the best fit for your needs.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.