Unanswered: Progress or please wait bar

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to display a progress bar. My application is running an external script and waiting for it to complete. During this time BD is checking to see if the script is finished (by looking for presence of a file). Any ideas how I can display progress or please wait notice to the user which will close on completion?

Cheers

Matty

Provided Answers: 17
    How about this idea....

On your form place a message in plain text “Working.... Please wait” and give it a Visibility Rule.

For example, when a variable called “working” = 1, then the Text is visible.

When working = 0, the Text is invisible.

So when you press whatever button runs your external script, get it to also set the “working” variable to 1. And what ever process you already have in place that checks for when the file is written, get that to pass a value back to the “working” variable in order to set it back to 0.

Your text message to the user should now display when needed and disappear when completed.

Regards
    James

Thanks James.

I will do some experimenting. Would this work for an HTML folder? I don't have a form visible at this point as the button is on a folder menu. And the folder is HTML.

Matty

Would this work for an HTML folder?
    To get a message to appear and disappear in a HTML folder requires the page to be refreshed. Right now I can't think of any possible means to refresh a HTLM folder automatically without the operator needing to press something.

I'll have to think about this one. Hmmm...

James.

Would a pop-up form be a possibility I wonder. That way I may be able to list each process as it occurred by changing a text variable.

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Matty
    Just one idea. You could create a maths global variable that is incremented as script progress's.
    Use a calculated maths field to display this variable - maybe formatted "progress is xx%" etc. Will need to refresh field regularly and clear variable when finished. Possible could make invisible while at zero.
    Regards
    David
    Might want to look at James's progress bar idea in example files top of this forum.
    Last edited by tamcind; 07-29-14 at 08:33.

Been thinking about this.

If you embed a “Select Folder” script in the code your running at different stages as it progresses and you have that selecting your HTML folder, it will refresh the HTML Folder. So using what David just said above using a Maths incremental, you can use that maths value to point to different sub (iframe preloader) HTML pages you could ebbed into your main HTML.

So for example, create 10 web pages called progress1.html ,2,3,4,5 and so on. On each page create a simple one 10 cell 1 row table. For progress1,html colour in one cell. For progress2, colour in two, and so on until you get to 10 and they are all filled in.

Now if you embed a page called “progress[maths incremental].htm” into your HTML page using an iframe, you can use this to display different stages of the progress bar as it switches between the 10 html pages you created.

Regards
    James.

Hi James,

That's an interesting idea .. I'll do some experimenting.

Thanks!

Matty