Unanswered: libdb2compr.so file not find in db2 10.5 64 bit for AIX

Hello all members,

I am using DB2 10.5 64bit on AIX 7

I want to compress the db full offline backup but i am not able to fine compression library "libdb2compr.so" in the system.

the same library was already found in V 10.1 on rhel 5 at /opt/ibm/db2/V10.1/lib32/libdb2compr.so.

Shall we need to download this library file on DB2 10.5 64 BIT on AIX 7 or some other means is there ?

thanks

ssumit
    ssumit

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

it's libdb2compr.a on AIX, not libdb2compr.so.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Thanks mark,

Now many Questions arises in my mind regarding compression of backup..
    1. Backup compressed with libdb2compr.so on RHEL 5 can be restored on AIX 7 (as AIX 7 has no libdb2compr.so) ?

2. Reverse : Backup of db2 on AIX 7 can be restored on RHEL 5 (as RHEL 5 has no libdb2compr.a)?

3. In what cases we need to specify Compression library name explicitly while restoring ?

Thanks in advance.

ssumit
    ssumit

Provided Answers: 18
    db2-Backup/Restore is only possible between operating-systems when the CPUs are compatible (as regards endian-ness) and encoding. So if you are running AIX on Power hardware, and running RHEL on X64 then you cannot backup/restore between them. You can use instead db2move or other similar tool (i prefer parallel-export and parallel-load scripting).

You don't need to specify the compression library unless db2 can't find the default ones , or the defaults have changed due to version-upgrades etc.

As usual, for the precise details to match your db2 version and platform , refer to the free on-line knowledge centre - all your questions are usually answered there if you take the time...

Provided Answers: 55
    Regarding your Q3:
    you have to specify a compression library when you restore from 32-bit backup to 64-bit system, for example.
    The reason is that DB2 uses a compression library from the backup image by default. This 32-bit library is not appropriate for restoring to a 64-bit environment and you have to specify a 64-bit compression library explicitly in such a case.
    Regards,
    Mark.

thanks mark and db2mor
    ssumit